8 | Don't Leave Yet

INSTAGRAM

madisonhu: new (background for my) phone (of my two best friends) who dis?

[tagged: olivia.rodrigo and joshuatbassett]

•••

user1: OMFGOMFGOMFGOMFG THIS CONTENT HAS WATERED MY PLANTS AND DESTROYED MY ACNE I AM THRIVING

user2: OH COME ON YOU CAN'T TELL ME JOLIVIA ISN'T REAL AFTER THIS
user3: i can and i will bc ethan is still in the picture...
user2: user3 there's breakup rumors flying all over the place about them rn since they haven't commented or liked on each other's posts since liv's bday
user4: ᴵ'ᴹ ᴳᴼᴺᴺᴬ ˢᴬᵞ ᴵᵀ... didn't really like ethan 😗

joshuatbassett: thanks maddie but damn my head looks big af
olivia.rodrigo: lmao joshy you look like the kids from the airheads commercials
joshuatbassett: literally stfu liv i hate you
olivia.rodrigo: that's not what you said 5 minutes ago i mean what
joshuatbassett: 😳✌️
user5: ooh tea
user6: just confirm you're a thing already damnit

dararenee: can i make this my lockscreen too dayum 😍
olivia.rodrigo: i. love. YOU!

•••

IMESSAGE

livvy 🌹
um hey joshy, are
you free to talk rn?

idc if you just want to
text i just really someone
to talk to rn

joshy 🛹
yeah ofc we can
text or call whichever
you prefer livvy

livvy 🌹
yeah i'll just call,
thanks joshy

•••

Olivia pressed his name on her phone before clicking the call icon, the call barely getting through one ring when Joshua picked up.

"Hey!" Joshua smiled, but it quickly faded once he saw Olivia's face stained with tears. "Oh, my god, is everything okay?"

"Yeah," Olivia replied out of instinct, letting out a scoff before shaking her head and wiping her eyes. "No, I don't know why I said that..."

"You wanna talk about it?"

Olivia nodded, taking a deep breath, her voice barely a whisper, "Ethan and I just broke up."

Joshua's eyes widened as he watched Olivia fight back the tears that were already streaming down her cheeks as she hiccuped out a sob. He wanted nothing more than to reach through the phone and hold her, comfort her and tell her everything would be okay, and someone like him didn't deserve someone like her.

He decided to do just that.

"Livvy, can I come over?"

Olivia looked up, raising an eyebrow. "What?"

"You just... y-you look like you could use a friend right now, and not just over FaceTime," Joshua replied almost shyly, making eye contact with her through the screen.

She gave him a small nod of approval. "Okay. Yeah, that'd be nice, if you can."

"On my way," Joshua nodded back, hanging up and quickly getting into his car as he drove over to her place. He didn't really understand why he felt such a strong urge to leave his place at 11:14 at night to rush over to her, but he decided not to dwell on it for too long; she needed somebody, and that was what was important in that very moment.

He parked next to the curb, running up to her front door once she opened it and stood in the doorway, embracing him once he picked her up in his arms and hugged her tightly, letting her know she wasn't alone. She sobbed into his shoulder as they stood there, not letting go of each other until she led him upstairs to her bedroom.

She sat down on her bed, patting the spot next to her to let him know it was okay as he sat next to her. They locked eyes for a few seconds before she whispered, "C-Can you just h-hold me? We don't have to talk, I don't really have words right now anyway..."

"Yeah yeah, of course, we can do whatever you want and need right now, Livvy," He scooter closer to her, wrapping an arm around her shoulder as she wrapped hers around his waist, laying her head against his chest. His other arm wrapped around her as well, rubbing her arm up and down as she tried not to cry.

"I feel so pathetic, I shouldn't be crying this much," she mumbled.

"It's okay to cry, Livvy. Let it out," he whispered as she held him tighter, him doing the same.

They sat there like that for a good while, holding each other while she cried until her head was pounding and she physically couldn't take it anymore. She decided to just let it go for now and take on her current surroundings; laying in her bed with one of her best friends holding her, reminding her that she wasn't alone in this world, and maybe, just maybe, somebody else understood her pain. They were unsure of how much time had passed until Olivia spoke again, "Thank you for coming, Joshy, you didn't have to."

"Anything for you, Livvy," he glanced down at her at the same moment she glanced up at him, both sharing a soft smile. Anyone else would have probably seen his response as cheesy and unoriginal, but Olivia saw the slight blush on his cheeks; it was sweet.

"Just don't leave just yet? Maybe stay until I fall asleep?" She asked and he nodded, not moving a muscle.

After some time, he glanced down and noticed her eyes were closed, her expression much more peaceful than it had been; but even when she was crying, she was beautiful in his eyes. He didn't want to possibly disturb her and wake her up, so he decided to stay just a little bit longer, but felt his eyes growing heavy and soon enough, he fell asleep too, their breathing matched as they held each other under the blanket.

And after that night, neither Joshua nor Olivia could deny that there wasn't the slightest bit of something there between the two.

•••

A/N: i wish this was better but 🤮 it's fine i guess 🥵

anyway i hope you enjoyed this chapter! if so please don't forget to vote comment and share because i love your feedback!

thanks, until next time ;)