17 | The Job of a Wingwoman

The cast sighed in relief as they heard the golden word echo off the walls: "Cut!"

Another day of filming was done, and they had just wrapped the Thanksgiving episode, which they believed was to be episode 7. Just as Olivia was about to head out, she heard someone call her name from behind her. She twirled around to see Sofia smiling at her.

"Oh, hey Sofia, what's up?" Olivia asked with a smile as she approached Sofia.

"I just wanted to talk, if you don't mind," Sofia sat down on the couch and patted the spot next to her. Olivia looked nervous, but Sofia hoped her friendly smile would soften the anxiety cleared plastered on her face; it didn't seem to.

"It's nothing bad, I promise," Sofia reassured her as Olivia sat down, and she was telling the truth; she had talked to Joshua the night before and told him she'd try to be like his "wingman"—or wingwoman in this case—and talk to Olivia for him. She wanted to see if maybe she could indirectly (or directly) figure out what Olivia thought of him, since Sofia knew how Joshua felt about her; the job of a wingwoman.

"Okay," Olivia gave her a look that said to go on.

Sofia quickly scanned the room, making sure nobody else was lingering or eavesdropping on their girl talk. "I just wanted to ask how you were doing, since we don't really talk that much."

"Oh," Olivia seemed less nervous. "I've been okay, I guess, just a little stressed with trying to finish a song with Josh for the show by the deadline. But I mean, besides that, I think I'm doing pretty good."

"Well that's good to hear," Sofia grinned. "I hope this doesn't come off as being nosy or butting into your personal business, but I know you and your boyfriend had a falling out a little while ago and I wanted to know how you're feeling about that. I know breakups can be rough and can take a while to move on from." Sofia felt awkward asking the question, but she was genuinely concerned for her friend's well being on the subject, and it could also reassure Joshua that she was over her ex.

"You're fine," Olivia began with a soft sigh. "It was kind of rough at first since it felt almost more like losing a friend than just a break up, but I've been doing better. Filming and writing songs and hanging out with you guys has made it a lot better for me, and honestly? I wouldn't say I've completely 'moved on', I guess, because he was a big part of my life and it's not so easy to just let that go, but I don't miss feeling like I wasn't as important to him as he was to me, you know? And sorry, I rambled."

"You're fine, let it out girl," Sofia gestured for her to continue.

"I don't miss the negatives from the relationship, and I don't even think I miss our relationship, I just miss being his friend. But I don't know how things will be with us from now on, but I'm not going to stress about it until I see him next, whenever that will be," Olivia explained. "But for now, I think I'm okay with the way things are. Life is going pretty well and that's all that matters. I don't need a relationship right now when I have all that, you know?"

Sofia felt her heart sink a little; maybe she spoke too soon about reassuring Joshua that she was ready for a relationship. But she tried to play it off by nodding and listening to Olivia ramble for a little while longer before they were told they had to leave set.

"Thank you, Sofia, for letting me rant, you're a really good listener," Olivia smiled before embracing Sofia in a hug, the girl wrapping her arms around her and returning the warm smile.

"It's no problem at all, you can talk to me anytime," Sofia replied. "See you tomorrow?"

"See you then," Olivia waved and headed out, Sofia grabbing her bag and doing the same.

After watching Olivia get picked up and driven away, Sofia dialed Joshua while waiting for her own ride home.

"Hey, did you talk to her?" He asked excitedly before adding, "Not that I was anticipating it, or, whatever."

"Mhmm," Sofia replied sarcastically. "And yeah, I did..."

The line was silent for a few seconds, Joshua clearly expecting her to go on. "... And? What'd she say?"

Sofia sighed. "It seems that she's mostly over Ethan, but not ready for another relationship..."

"Oh."

"I'm sorry, Josh."

"No, it's fine," Joshua said, and even through the phone Sofia could hear that he was attempting to give a small smile to reassure himself. "I figured that anyway, the timing just didn't seem right to do anything about my possible feelings. But thanks for finding out for me, I really appreciate it."

"Yeah, of course, I'm here for you always," Sofia replied, her heart slightly aching for him; she knew how it felt to not have feelings reciprocated. "But I got to go, my mom's here, talk later?"

"Yeah sure. Thanks again, Sof, you're the best. Bye."

"Bye, Josh." She sighed as she hung up the phone, trying not to let her small, lingering feelings get to her.

•••

A/N: tehehehehe 🤭 halfway through i lowkey changed what i had planned so a h a h a

sorry for not updating in a couple of weeks or so, i started getting a bit swamped with schoolwork and have been rereading the percy jackson books the last week because disney+ is going to be making a pjo series (thank the GODS i've been waiting for something like since i was 9) so 🤧 i'm so hyped you don't even KNOW (unless you're gem haha sorry for the spams richiesscooter <3) (also peep our matching users, you should go follow her ;))

anyway i hope you all enjoyed this chapter! if so please don't forget to vote comment and share because i love your feedback!

thanks, until next time ;)