CHAPTER EIGHT

Everyone in school knew that Melisa, the school most popular girl was once friends with Kira. I did not know what happened between them but in high school, they could not stand one another's sight. I decided to make Melisa my girlfriend so that I would try pushing back my feelings for Kira. I stood and watched as my girlfriend and friends bullied and humiliated her. I would join in sometimes in the humiliation but seeing her in pain made my heart ache. I endured the heartache thinking that it was the only way to make her hate me.

My parents were rich people whose only goal in life is to earn some more wealth. Every friend they made had to be beneficial in some way or had something to offer. They spent most of the time travelling around the world and doing business. I was always alone at home with the workers. My mother did not raise me herself since she was busy following my father around to business deals. My nanny raised me and took care of me and made decision on my life all on her own. My parents would send money to her when they were away so I practically had everything I wanted, other than the one thing that I needed the most. I needed the presence and love of my parents.

Kira's family was not high status back then and that was one of the reasons why she was bullied at school. Melisa was also from the middle class. I knew that she was using me to get popular at school but I was doing the same. I was using her as my girlfriend to hide my feelings for Kira. After we graduated from high school, the last thing I expected was to see Kira again.

I was quite amazed when I saw her and that too with a lot of changes in her. She was not the quiet nerdy girl that I bullied in high school. She was fierce and with so much ambition. I was even more shocked to know that she was a CEO. I was proud that she did not let us bring her down in high school. I have to say that she had the brains even back then. She even delivered the valedictorian speech at our graduation. I was also a CEO but the company had been passed down to me by my father upon retirement. Unlike me, Kira start her company from the ground. It was all her hard work and efforts that made it possible.

I did not expect her to be the one opening the door when I went to say hello to my new neighbor. I felt the familiar racing of my heart whenever I say her. My joy was however short lived when I saw a small boy emerge from the house. I felt my stomach drop as I saw her interaction with her. My first guess was that she was married already but to console myself, I let myself think that maybe she had some friends over or she was babysitting. All that was thrown into the wind, when I saw the look of love and adoration in her eyes. I concluded that he was her son. I did not however see a ring on her finger. I wondered whether she was a single mom. It made me a little happy thinking that maybe, just maybe I had a chance with her.

Kira was glaring at me as I stood there wondering what I would say. It was obvious that she did not want me there. I was disappointed but blamed myself. I mean, I wonder what I was even thinking. After all the harm I had caused her, I would be the last person she wanted to see. I had a little awkward chat with her and later went back to my house. I was a bit disappointed when the little boy asked me to come in but Kira scolded him.

I spent the rest of the day at work but my brains were thinking of the girl next door. I saw them go out with the little boy, who I learned was Brandon and did not get back until later in the evening. I was close to Kira's house and I wanted to help her carry the bags she had. I however was beat to it by the security guard. I still followed them but nobody seemed to notice me. Kira carried a sleeping Brandon in her arms while the guard carried the shopping bags. I saw her input the code and she sighed in relief upon getting home. I could tell they were tired from their day out and I decided to let them rest. It was later that night that I headed to her house.

I wanted to knock at the door but the thought that maybe they were asleep. I input the code to her house and found Kira doing something at the table. I got closer and saw that they were sketch book. Kira was a bit startled by my presence and I could tell that she wondered how I got into her house. I expected her to throw me out but she let me stay upon Brandon's convincing. She made dinner and we later watched a movie. Half way through the movie, she fell asleep with her body leaning back on the couch behind her. I also felt my eyes get heavy and laid my head on her shoulder and entered a dreamland. I dreamt of Kira throughout the whole night. I woke up later in the morning to her tracing my face. We had breakfast after that and I headed to my house to get ready for the day. I had a big smile on my face throughout the whole day, which I know surprised many people since I always cold hearted and never smiled at work.

Brandon