Aa

Prologue
•••

When I think of a happy family, I see two parents with their children, who live in a big home filled with nothing, but love.

But when I think of my family, I see nothing. Nothing at all. No joy, happiness, care, and especially not any love.

If I thought my life was bad six months ago, It seemed to only get worse. Not only was I running for MY life, but I was running to save my child's too.

"The kid looks a little better. You just need to work on your stress levels because it's disturbing the babies vitals," The nurse announced to me before rubbing the gel off my stomach.

"Okay, well can you provide me some medication or something?" I asked, sitting up on the medical bed hoping that she'd say yes.

My baby shower was in a few more days and I wanted to be as calm as possible.

She shook her head giving me a faint smile. "I've proscribed you Tricyclic antidepressants and buspirone just last month and you're already done with them? I think you should find other things to relieve your stress."

I groaned a little, twisting my lips to the side. "Like what?"

She handed me a sheet of paper, which happened to be a flyer for baby classes. "You should go to these classes. They really do help, if it doesn't then i'll get you some more medication. Deal?"

I nodded my head and stared at the flyer as she walked out. My eyes darted across the room at Monty, who was ready for me to get up so we could go.

Monty popped up about a month into my pregnancy and has been there for me since Jovan's no longer in the picture.

I can't lie and say I didn't miss him, but deep down in my gut I was convinced that he was gone for good.

Monty got so comfortable playing Jovan's role that he started claiming my baby as his. He would even go around saying that it was his child, and I would have to tell him to stop, but he never listens.

I told him by the time my kid was born and Jovan wasn't back then he can play the fatherly role needed.

We signed me out of the hospital before getting into the car. Once both of us were seated, he started the vehicle up and began driving.

It was raining badly outside and my dumbass would be the one to forget to get a coat. I leaned my head against the window with my hands still on the flyer.

"So, I was thinking you should name yo' son after me," Monty started out of the blue, "Since I actually been here."

I scrunched my face up and huffed, "I actually already named him.."

His brow shot up and he looked over at me. "What you name my son?"

"Kahari Lovell Brown."

The moment those words came out my mouth he stepped his foot on breaks, causing both of us to jerk roughly.

"THE FUCK WRONG WITH YOU?" He shouted letting his spit hit my face. "YOU GIVING MY BABY THAT NIGGA MIDDLE AND LAST NAME?"

I stared at him like he was crazy, and held tightly on the seatbelt from all the anger he was showing. "That's his father..."

"Nah," He shook his head and continued driving, "That ain't his father. I AM. I'm the one who been here for six fucking months not him."

"Nobody asked you to do that. I told you he wasn't yours and-"

"JA'NESSA shut the fuck up before I punch your jaw," He threatened, "Matter fact get the fuck out."

He stopped the car in the middle of the road, making sure not to make any eye contact.