three | forbidden instruments

The rest of the school body must have gathered in the tiny hallway. There had to be people everywhere Tabitha tried to pass, like a link of sausages tightly joined. She groaned in frustration as her efforts proved futile. A few passerbys spared her a quick, confused glance before walking away, leaving her stationed by a door. The end of school was always difficult to leave, as the football team held practice after school ended and in a school as sport crazed as hers, they loved to go support the football team.

"Hi Tabitha."

"See you tomorrow in English class."

"Hi Tabs."

"Hey Tabitha, I really didn't get the answer to that question in calculus so I was wondering if you'd help tutor me."

"-m throwing a party and I'd love it if you-"

Tabitha was lightheaded from everyone's requests. She'd only gotten popular from the fact that Talia was her sister, and that she was cheated on by her ex boyfriend. and everybody knew. So they all treated her with kindness and pity, and it slowly got really annoying. Kindness on the basis wasn't full of magnanimity as they hoped it would resonate with Tabitha. She only smiled, her fingers playing with the tassels on her backpack before trying to pass the crowd.

She tried to pass through the crowd of people but ended up getting elbowed in her ribs. Tabitha let out a loud grunt of pain as she doubled over. She wheezed, her eyes watering as she clutched her midsection. It had been long since she'd gotten hit like this and the distance made her skin forget the pain of being hit. Tabitha groaned, almost blinded by the quick filling of painful moisture gathering in her eyes.

No one stopped to look at her as they singled out of the school. She let a few curse words pass before looking around for where she would sit and rest for a while before leaving the school. Tabitha whirled, feeling wood beneath her fingers before knowing she was by a door. She pushed the door open instantly knew she was in the music room, and walked in, sitting by the piano bench. Tabitha felt lightheaded, and seemed like she would pass out if she stood for any second longer.

Tabitha rummaged through her bag for a painkiller, since the pain hadn't subsided and throbbed with tender intensity. She pulled out a granola bar, her medication and painkiller in the crinkly packet. Tabitha took a bite of the bar whilst her eyes scanned the room, her scrutiny of the room stopped when she saw the violin that sat in all its glory. The wood was glistening dully, as the sun lent its rays to it.

Her palm stung, and she looked away, noting that the bar was much harder to swallow. She was hurting, and it didn't make sense for her to look at the one thing that had caused her the most pain. She finished her granola bar, and took the pill dry.

There was an odd silence that filled, tender cacophonies of harsh swallows and the low buzz of chatter behind the door. Tabitha let her fingers tap the piano's surface, and closed her eyes. With pursed lips, she fought to avoid her mind's travel to difficult places, places with pathways riddled with thorns.

The door opened slowly, and she glanced at the tiny figure that walked in. Eyes bright with childlike wonder as she let her mouth fall open. Her blonde hair was pulled into two pigtails, and her blue eyes were so beautiful under the lights. Tabitha's heart melted, and she smiled at the girl that waved at her. She looked to be about 5 or 6 years old with the prettiest smile she'd even seen.

"Hi. I'm Emily. You're pretty. What's your name?"

Tabitha chuckled softly, as the girl walked closer to her. "Hi, I'm Tabitha. Thank you so much, you are also very pretty, just like a princess."

With that, she gasped dramatically, her eyes widened as did her smile. "Really?" She asked hopefully. Tabitha nodded, and watched Emily giggle sweetly. Her smile grew even more, forgetting about the soft pangs of pain that ravaged her stomach.

"Do you know how to play?" She asked, as she gestured to the piano. "My brother can play the piano. He can play a lot of things. Do you have a brother?"

Tabitha shook her head, as she pushed her things into her bag. "I can play a lot of instruments too. Where's your brother?"

"He's outside. Oops," She giggled, looking at the window. "I need to go, bye Tabby." Emily ran out, and Tabitha moved to follow her, but she'd inadvertently pushed her bag down. She pushed her things into her bag, eyeing the bottle of medication that had rolled out. Tabitha walked out, her heart racing, but she couldn't see the little girl anywhere.

"I'm so sorry but did you see a little girl run out of the music room?" Tabitha asked a boy that had been walking past her.

He paused to think then he nodded. "Yeah, but she called some dude her brother and they walked out together." He didn't stay to let her answer him, then he walked away. The sound of her sigh of relief was almost blocked by the loud blaring of her phone's ringing.

"Hello?"

"Tabitha, we need to get home now. Mum said she's having guests over."