thirteen | part two | like a freight train

When Tabitha woke again, the world was silent, peaceful and dark. She stared at the ceiling, with no recollection of what happened before she fainted again. Then like a freight train, everything slammed into her with the company of a terrible headache. She wasn't sick. She was lied to. She was sheltered all her life for nothing. How did her mother feel? How did Talia feel? Was her father overjoyed? Did he regain the light in his eyes when he heard the news? She let out a sigh, blinking furiously to let go of the tears that accumulated in her eyes. Tabitha didn't know how to feel. Her fingers fumbled in the darkness to see if her phone was beside her so she'd look for a glass of water.

She felt nothing, so she just decided to give up.

Tabitha looked out the window, enjoying how the oranges and the purples blended in the sky. The sun was setting, and she was perplexed. She'd first woken up when it was morning, as she deduced from the chirping of the birds and the quiet bustle of the starting day.

Her peaceful world was disrupted by Talia that walked in. She turned on the lights, and the rustle of the plastic bags accompanied with the sound of the door's creak created a loud, obtrusive sound.

"Oh my goodness! You're awake. Are you okay? Do you need water? Are you hungry? Do you need to pee?" Talia fired the questions at a wincing Tabitha.

The girl clad in the hospital gown snorted with a giggle. "Why would I tell you if I needed to pee?"

Talia rolled her eyes and placed the plastic bags on the bedside table, and handed a takeaway to Tabitha then replying exasperatedly "I don't know? Anyway, I brought you your favorite orange chicken from Chinchin." She opened the takeaway and inhaled the smell before letting out a sigh. Tabitha dug in, well as much as she could with chopsticks, her movements uncoordinated as she stuffed her face with food.

When the door opened, Tabitha paused and stiffened when she saw it was her mother. Then she slowed down and then began eating with trembling hands. Tabitha lifted her head to say a tiny greeting, then caught the flicker of disappointment when the older woman saw her choice of food.

"I told you that I don't like you eating outside food. Especially from chain restaurants. Thankfully, I made you a salad with chicken, so dump that one out." Tabitha's mother's tone leaving no room for argument, as she stared down at a stiff Tabitha.

Talia protested immediately. "Mum! I bought that for her because it's her favorite food."

Their mother replied almost immediately, as if she was expecting Talia to rebut her words. "Yes, but your sister's diet has always been meticulously planned. She can't have these junk foods because she is sick-"

She was interrupted by Tabitha, that had discovered a bout of courage. "But I'm not. I'm fine. Dr. Saunders said that I am fine. So I can have my orange chicken."

"Even if you aren't sick, I will not have my child eating from a restaurant when I can just cook for you and I expect that we will be having a conversation about this disrespect of interrupting me when I speak."

When there was no movement from Tabitha, the older woman moved and carelessly threw the quarter eaten takeaway on the table. She then placed a tupperware container with leafy greens and pale pieces of chicken on Tabitha's lap. The younger girl opened it and grimaced at the unappealing sight. There was a drizzle of what looked like raspberries vinaigrette on it.

With pursed lips, Tabitha asked the older woman. "Are these raspberries?"

"Yes."

Tabitha shut her eyes firmly to hide the pain and fear. "I'm allergic to raspberries." Then there was silence.

"I didn't know. I'll throw it out and you can have your orange chicken. But, uh, just this once." Her tone held saddened pauses. Tabitha had lost her appetite at this point, so she picked at it. She didn't open her mouth, so bile would stay suppressed in her throat.

Her father pushed open the door with his shoulders, holding a tiny cake in his hands and suddenly the air became breathable. "Hi love. Are you still feeling tired?" He pulled a chair, pushed the plastic container away and unceremoniously dumped the cake in her lap but before Tabitha could say anything, her mother interrupted.

"She can't eat that. It's bad for her health."

Her father had always been kind and sweet yet he looked so stern when he faced her mother, shooting daggers at her with his eyes. The older woman shriveled and lowered her head. "I've spoken to the doctor, and she says it's okay for Tabitha." She nodded, then turned to Talia.

"Well let's get something to cut the cake."

Talia sauntered to their father's side. "Why'd you get the cake dad?"

Their father, as if seeing her for the first time since he walked in, patted her hair softly - something he did all the time. "Hi sweetheart. I got the cake to commemorate Tabitha's freedom," Then he focused on a confused Tabitha. "I know that your mother and I have been restrictive or overprotective but you are our baby and we love you so much. We were scared when we found out that your heart may fail at any time and we may have taken it overboard and I apologise for that. You are okay now and that means you can do anything you want. So the cake is to celebrate your correct diagnosis and your freedom, of the sorts."

Then he patted Tabitha's hair, which she knew must have been tangled and placed candles and lit them. "Make a wish love."

Tabitha summoned all the courage she had and blew out all the candles before avoiding looking anyone in the eyes. She didn't know what to wish for.

********