fifty-eight | all yours

Tabitha had been stunned into silence. Somehow, making out feverishly with Oliver on the counter in his kitchen wasn't what she'd planned when she'd woken up, or when she had walked into his house. She was currently in her car, with sensitive lips, numb to any outside sensations while she tried to process what had just happened. The aftermath of the kiss wasn't awkward, it was more peaceful silence from Oliver and awkward peeking from Tabitha. That is, until he pulled her into another kiss before they left the house. He kissed her sweetly, and softly like she was made of glass, making her stomach flip.

His hand grasped hers and kissed it tenderly, putting her attention back on Oliver. "You look lost in thought. Are you okay?" He asked, quietly. There was something in the situation that made it hard to look him in the eye without stuttering and blushing foolishly.

"I'm fine. Just thinking."

The hum of the car was low, and smooth, almost lulling her to sleep. "About?" Oliver continued. She glanced at him, a tiny smile lingering at the corner of his lips, ones that were on hers minutes ago.

"School." Tabitha fibbed. "I got a gift from Axel and Ariana. I haven't opened them yet, but I was thinking about it now." She grabbed her bag that were at her feet, and opened it. They both gave her the pink box with a bow with equally devious smiles, saying that they both got it for her. Tabitha opened it, just to see a charm bracelet with a few charms on it. She let out a muted gasp. The bracelet was silver, and the charms were of a calculator, an icecream come and a music note out of many others. Tabitha clasped it around her wrist, watching the silver glint in the sunlight. It dangled around her wrist, and she moved it softly, the sounds of them hitting echoing in the enclosed car.

Oliver held her hand, intertwining them, and without looking at the bracelet, asked. "Do you like it?" She took awhile to answer, just because she was trying not to drool at the sight of him driving with one hand.

"Yes." She gushed over the bracelet, her hands brushing over the charm, then she turned to eye him. "Did you know?"

Chuckling, he nodded. "We all picked out a charm for you. I picked the note, Axel picked the icecream cone and Ariana picked the calculator."

"Thank you Ollie. It's beautiful." She replied earnestly, and kissed the hand that was still holding hers. Red then crawled up his cheeks till he was blushing. God, he was beautiful, and she was absolutely in love with every inch of him. The beauty of his smile had to be the most hypnotic thing she'd ever seen, just like the one he was sporting currently. His hand squeezed hers, before letting go to use both hands to maneuver the wheel.

"Ollie?"

He turned to Tabitha for a brief second, and smiled adorably at her. "Yeah?"

"I want another cupcake."

There was silence in the car, and then there was a low chuckle, one that made Tabitha wriggle in her seat, because there was something absolutely hot about it. "It's in the back." She nodded, her head turning to see it, her mouth watering at the sight of the frosting. Tabitha opened it, and took one out, biting into it. She sighed contentedly, eyeing the border of their town.

**************

"So..." She trailed off when they'd been in the car for over an hour, her legs began to cramp. Besides, being in a car with Oliver for over an hour with his wonderful scent and hands that left hers periodically was driving her crazy. "How far is this place exactly?"

Oliver turned to her, eyes brightened. "Not too long. Five minutes max." She huffed, and settled in her seat. The loud blaring of her phone was what broke the silence. Tabitha frowned as she saw who was calling her, it wasn't a number saved on her phone and it wasn't from their area code. Slowly, she picked the call, muttering a low hello as silence filled her ears.

"Tabitha, sweetheart." Tabitha paused, and her hands almost lost the grip they had on her phone.

She swallowed heavily, ignoring the concerned look from Oliver. "Wh– Who is this?"

"Don't tell me that your memory's become so fickle that you would forget the voice of your own mother?" She spat into the phone. Tabitha's heart lurched with fear, and the familiar burn of tears stung her eyes. "After everything I said, after all the warnings I gave you, Tabitha. You went running to your father after I warned you not to. I didn't go through all that trouble of disciplining you, for you to end up disobeying me." Tabitha was evidently trembling, and the burn on her palm began to itch.

It took effort to talk, and it felt like her tongue was too heavy. Sweat gathered on her forehead. "I..." Oliver's attention was on her, as the car had been maneuvered into the underground parking lot of a building.

"I'm not upset with you. I promise. I am calling to wish you a happy birthday, my love. I know living with your father has been rough, but I'll be back soon. The police are looking for me because of your father being scared of a little discipline, he's always been a spineless man. I do not plan on you living with a man who doesn't enforce discipline but don't worry. I'll be back so you don't end up as living a life that is completely different from what I have planned for you."

Oliver was talking to a woman, her greying hair almost took her attention from her mother. He then took a bunch of keys from her before jumping into the car. Her hands sought his blindly, as if she couldn't see him. Oliver's hands found hers, kissing them softly as she bit her lip to avoid crying out loud. The draft blew against the trail of wetness down her cheeks. Flashes replayed in her mind, she didn't want this. She didn't want to be burdened by her mother's selfishness. She did nothing to deserve it.

"The police wouldn't be looking for you if you had just disciplined me. You abused me." She bit back.

The older woman laughed, then tsked at her as if she didn't deserve to be heard. "I did what I had to. You would have ended up with no future if I hadn't," She paused, perhaps for lack of a better word. "Steered you into the right direction. You owe everything to me, and I'll be damned if I let my life's work be distracted by music of all things." She snarked, the same mocking tone that haunted Tabitha's dreams on repeat.

"I'm not your life's work. I am your daughter." Them there was silence, and she hung up. Sanity was slipping through her fingers, from her pores.

Warm hands cupped her face, and she looked at Oliver, to see his eyes darkened with concern. He'd opened her door, and was crouching beside her. "Your mum?" She nodded, and he sighed. "Are you okay? Do you want to go home?"

Tabitha shook her head, he looked like he had spent much time planning the entire date and she would hate herself even more. "No. Ollie, I'm not letting her ruin our date. I just need to call my dad, then I'm all yours. I promise." She reassured him, and when he kissed her nose before smiling at her, Tabitha could swear her heart skipped multiple beats.