sixty-six | to tabitha

It was a little after 1pm.

Two days after the concert.

The doctor, after all the tests that he'd taken, had told them that Tabitha was fine. That she was just tired, and she'd wake up when she was ready. He asked that they hold off on news that would startle her to avoid her heart rate increasing and possibly getting her admitted again into the hospital.

Tabitha's father was pacing, behind Oliver, talking on the phone, to the police officer that had been informing him about Tabitha's mother. Talia was pale faced beside him. Ariana was looking at her quietly, and Axel was red eyed, his hands on her shoulder. Oliver was holding her hand, quietly looking at her, just so he wouldn't miss anything. His back was to everyone, and they were all wearing a mask, just so they wouldn't catch anything from anyone.

"We're going to get some food. Do you want to come with?" The older man asked, his hand on Oliver's shoulder. He shook his head. He didn't want to leave Tabitha's side. He wanted to see her open her eyes. "Okay." Mr Daniels answered, the sounds of their departure evident by the way their footsteps dragged out of the room.

Oliver's eyes finally reddened, and he kissed her hand. A tear dropped on her hand and he wiped it away carefully. "Please wake up princess. There's still so much for us. I haven't even told you how much I love you. I love you so much Tabitha. Please wake up so I can say it so much that you get sick of me, so you can call me cheesy with a smile on your face, so I can tell you that it's only for you. I'd only be cheesy for you." He was whispering, his voice hoarse. He hadn't so much as spoken more than ten words to anyone except Tabitha for the past few days. Everyone had come over to see her. Pierce and his band came earlier but they had to leave to catch their flight, everyone from the orphanage had come bearing gifts and flowers.

If Oliver wasn't looking as closely as he was, he would've missed the way Tabitha's lashes fluttered slowly. Hope surged, and he begged that she would wake up.

Her eyes fluttered open, and they fixated on him. "Why are you being cheesy when I can't make fun of you?" Tabitha whispered, her voice hoarse. Oliver knew he'd cry, and he desperately wanted not to. He blinked rapidly, his eyes probably as red as hers were.

"So you'd wake up and I'd do it again so you can tell me how cheesy I am." He answered, with a stupid, doting smile on her face because she was fine. Her hair was in a lazy ponytail that Talia had done for Tabitha, and she had half lidded eyes so messy yet so like her.

Tabitha had tears in her eyes, and she tried to sit up. Oliver moved to help her up, and when he'd successfully done so, she pulled down his mask, cupped his face and kissed his cheek softly. "You're very cheesy, Oliver."

"Only for you, princess." He replied, his heart beating faster than it had ever been. Oliver could feel his face heating, and he stumbled over his words as he walked out. "I'm gonna go call the doctor. I'll be right back." He could faintly hear her giggle, and he shoved his shaky hands in his pockets, leaning against the wall to catch his breath. He hadn't shown it but he hadn't been as scared of anything as he had been scared of the thought of losing her, but she was okay. His Tabitha was fine. He breathed deeply and went to find a doctor, willing his heart to calm down.

Tabitha was fine.

*************

Tabitha wasn't throwing a tantrum. Okay, perhaps she was, but it was perfectly reasonable. Oliver hadn't looked at her since he'd found the doctor. She huffed, picking at the oatmeal the doctor had advised she eat to warm her stomach. Oliver sat at the corner in the hospital room, his hands drumming silently on his thigh. His mask was over his nose, and only his eyes, through the curls that fell on his forehead, could be seen.