Chapter 17 - Running Away

Criticism spot :)

Crutchie's POV

I woke up with a start, getting scared by Jack moving. He was still asleep, but I sat up instead of waiting for him like usual. I looked at my ankle, seeing the purple and red discolored skin that was showing where the cloth didn't cover it. I always felt disgusted when I looked at it. The pain was just as bad as the day before, but Jack said that we had to change my wrap today no matter what, and so I thought I'd mentally prepare myself. 

After a couple of minutes, Jack woke up, stretching and sitting up.

"Hey, is somethin' wrong?" He rubbed his eyes, looking at me.

"Oh, no. I just woke up early." I said, giving him a weak smile.

"Got it." He stood up, getting changed. I did the same, hoping that maybe he'd forget about the wrap. Right when I thought he might've, he looked at my ankle, furrowing his brows. "How bad is it today?" 

"Just as bad as yesterday." I said, quietly. I felt embarrassed that I wasn't getting any better. I just wanted to forget it was even an issue.

"As much as I know it'll hurt you, we seriously have to change the wrap." He said, getting down to my level and giving me a pity smile. I nodded, looking away from him. He sat for a moment and seemed confused, before heading down the ladder to get Race.

"Hey Crutchie, how are you?" Race said as he hopped over the top of the ladder, giving me a pity smile just like Jack. Normally I'd answer him honestly, but something told me not to.

"I'm fine." I said, and Jack took notice of my short, blunt answer. Race got the other piece of cloth, bending down at my ankle. Jack sat down by my side, putting his hand out. I took it, not looking him in the eyes.

"Ready?" Jack asked. I kept my gaze off him, but nodded. I began biting my lip and squeezing his hand, trying not to scream as Race took the cloth off. Tears started to stream down my face from the pain, but I managed to stay quiet.

"It's off, do you need a second, Crutchie?" Race said, looking at me. I nodded, staying quiet. I turned to look at Jack, just wanting to be held. 

Jack gave me yet another pity smile, and wiped the tears off of my face with his other hand. I looked away, feeling embarrassed still. I could feel that he was worried about how I was acting, but he didn't say anything. I took a deep breath, preparing for the final stretch.

"Okay. I'm ready." I said, biting my lip once again. I squeezed Jack's hand harder than I ever had, and I felt real guilty. 

"Done." Race said, getting up and smiling at me. "See you guys in a few minutes!" He continued, leaving to head to Newsie Square. I let go of Jack's hand, still not looking at him.

"Sorry," I said, wiping my face dry of any remaining tears.

"For what?" Jack stood up, putting his hand out to help me.

"I squeezed your hand real hard. I thought I hurt you," I looked at him finally and saw just how worried he looked. 

"You didn't hurt me. It's okay." We stood silently for a moment, before Jack sighed. "Crutchie, is something wrong?" I shook my head, not wanting to tell him that everything was wrong. He kept his gaze on me, but I looked away. "Please, if I did something-"

"No, you didn't do anything. It's," I stopped talking for a moment, wishing I had just stopped there. "It's me. It's just all me." I said, looking at the ground.

"What do you mean, Crutch?" He came closer to me, putting his hand on my shoulder.

"I just," I sighed, looking Jack in the eyes. "I just feel like an extra problem today." Jack shook his head, seeming upset at what I said.