Chapter 35 - Time Off

criticism spot! :)

This may or may not be the last chapter before the musical takes place... ;)

Crutchie's POV

I woke up as the sun rose, keeping my body close to Jack's in order to stay warm. He was still asleep, so I tried not to move at all, listening to his rhythmic breathing. After a few more minutes he took a deep breath, causing me to look up at him.

"Morning," he said with a smile.

"Morning," I responded, smiling as well. "Five more minutes," I said, knowing he'd soon say we should get ready.

"Jeez, you're ahead of the game today." He joked, starting to run his fingers through my hair. I closed my eyes again, never wanting to leave this moment. After the five minutes were up he stood, stretching and yawning.

"Uhg..." I complained, sitting up.

"You're really not a morning person," Jack teased, handing me my clothes.

"You just noticed?" We both laughed as we got changed, and I stretched a bit.

"Ready?" He said after a bit, walking over and helping me up. We went down the ladder and toward the square as usual, both staying quiet for a bit.

"Do you know what game we're playin' for game night tonight?" I asked, looking at Jack.

"No idea. You gonna run a team?" I sighed, looking away.

"No, I don't feel up to it yet." I kept my eyes on the ground as we walked, feeling his gaze on me.

"Alright, you'll be on my team." He smiled at me, and I smiled back.

The day was the same as any other. Race caught up, we got our papes, sold them, and ate dinner. We were sitting at our team's table, Jack talking to everyone as we waited to start. Finally, Race got up, walking to the front of the room.

"Alright guys, round one. Romeo's team will start. Romeo, bring up whoever's drawin' this round on your team." He said, walking back to his table and sitting down again.

"I'll be goin' first. Prepare to get your asses kicked," he said to the room, smirking.

He began to draw and his team started to yell random things, trying to guess what he was drawing. The room quickly grew loud, and I felt my chest tighten suddenly.

I tensed up, unsure what just came over me. Within a few seconds of all that, I began to panic. Everything around me was muffled, and I felt trapped. I knew I had to get out of here, my breathing picking up. Confused and scared, I stood up, leaving the lodging house. Eventually, the door opened, and Jack walked out.

"Hey, what's wrong?" He said, coming over to me.

"I don't know," I said, my voice shaky.

"You can tell me, Crutchie," he raised his brows, looking worried.

"No, I'm serious. I have no idea what the fuck is happening," I said, beginning to panic more.

"Jesus, you're shaking like crazy," he got closer to me yet, not touching me in case it caused me to freak.

"Jack I don't know what's happening," I repeated, my chest growing tighter yet.

"Let's sit down, hm?" He said, and he helped me down to the ground. I stared straight ahead instead of looking at him, only growing more and more panicked with every second that passed.

"I don't know what's going on," I said, sounding like a broken record.

"It's okay, I'm right here." He smiled, and I looked at him. Normally I'd try to smile back, but I couldn't. His expression quickly changed, though, likely noticing the terror in my eyes. "Was it all too much? The yelling and stuff?" He said, putting his hand on my knee.