Chapter 32 - Rumors

Criticism spot!

Crutchie's POV

"Is it true that you killed your Mom?"

"... What?"

We stared at each other for a moment, and I could feel myself begin to panic. I didn't know what else to say, and I could only continue to stare at Romeo.

"Did you?" He eventually said, his voice now turning more harsh than worried. 

"I..." Was all I could get out, paralyzed with fear and confusion. Romeo stepped back from me after a moment, assuming my answer.

"Just... I won't tell anyone, but just stay away from me, okay?" He said, walking back inside. 

I didn't follow him inside. I stood there, wondering if what had just happened was even real. I wanted to go back in to see Jack, but as I turned to face the door, I couldn't bring myself to enter. Instead, I went back to the penthouse, changing into my pajamas and laying on my side, pulling our blanket up to my face. I kept my gaze locked on the skyline, completely lost in thought.

Jack's POV

We were about to start back up when I noticed that Romeo had walked back inside, but Crutchie hadn't. I decided I'd wait for a bit, not wanting to run out there if he was fine and make him upset. After a few more minutes had passed, I knew I couldn't sit here any longer.

"Hey, I gotta go check somethin'. Until I'm back, Specs, you're the captain." I said, standing up. He nodded as everyone finished settling down, and I headed out the door, worry overtaking me.

As I opened the door I half expected him to be on the ground having a panic attack, or see him standing there, completely fine. As I stepped out, though, he wasn't there at all. My heartrate picked up, worried that something horrible had happened. I took off running toward the penthouse, feeling terrified with every step.

When I got to the ladder I was able to calm down as I saw his crutch resting against it, meaning he was up top. At first I just assumed he had grown tired and gone home, but then I was only more confused, wondering why he wouldn't have told me. I climbed up as I thought, seeing him laying down, his back to me.

"Hey," I said quietly, but he didn't move. I walked over to him, seeing that he was still awake. I got changed and sat beside him, but he still didn't turn to me. "Are you okay?" I asked, still trying to talk gently. He shook his head, finally turning so he was on his other side, facing me. I laid down as well so we were close together, and I began playing with his hair. "What's wrong?"

"I..." Was all he said back, shifting his gaze down and off of me.

"Did something happen?" I asked, deciding I would only ask yes or no questions so he wouldn't have to push himself to talk. He nodded, looking back at me. "Was it about whatever Romeo wanted?" He nodded again, my heart pounding out of anger toward Romeo. "Do you want to talk about it?" He hesitated for a moment before shaking his head, moving closer against me. He rested his forehead on my chest, and I could tell he fell asleep quickly. 

I was woken up by him turning over, and I could tell he was shaken up. I started to rub his back, feeling horrible for him.

"You okay?" I asked, feeling sort of like a broken record.

"Just a nightmare. Go back to sleep." He spoke quietly, his voice sounding tired. 

"Will you at least face me?" I said, knowing that he always felt better when I held him. He turned over, scooting in close once again. This time I fell asleep first, exhausted.