Chapter 28 - Aching

Criticism spot! :)

Crutchie's POV

I woke up confused, seeing that I wasn't in the penthouse. I went to sit myself up but I couldn't, and I screamed out in pain and fell back down. Soon, Race was in the doorway, looking as though he had just seen a ghost.

"Crutchie! You're awake!" He walked over to me and knelt down beside me with a smile, trying to hide his worry. "How are ya feeling?" He asked. When I tried to answer I was unsure what to say, ending up just staring at him. "Can't talk?" He brushed my hair from my face, raising his brows. 

"Sh-" was all I could say before I began coughing, pain rocketing through me. 

"Ya feel like shit?" I nodded, settling back down. I turned my head to where I remembered Jack being, but he wasn't there. Race turned around to see what I was looking at and turned back to me, understanding. "He's in the shower now. It takes a couple fellas to help him to and from there for right now, so he may be a while." I nodded, turning my head back to the ceiling. "Hungry?" He asked, standing. I nodded and he left, and I was once again alone.

After a few minutes he was back, holding some sort of soup and a glass of water. He knelt down by me with a smile, being kind as he always was.

"I'll help ya eat. There's no way you can feed yourself yet," he said, raising the spoon to my mouth. Even though I felt embarrassed, I was so hungry that I didn't fight him. 

It wasn't long before I was finished, already wanting to go back to sleep. Race stayed knelt beside me, looking me over. Both of us heard someone coming to the room, though, and turned our attention to the door. Soon, Jack came through with Romeo helping him walk. He didn't notice I was awake as Romeo laid him down, sighing and staring at the ceiling.

"Hey, Jack," Race said, but Jack didn't turn his head. "Look who's awake," the moment he finished speaking, Jack turned to face me, his face lighting up.

"Oh my god- Crutchie!" He said, a big smile on his face. "How are you?" Race looked at me and then back at Jack, shaking his head.

"He can't really talk." Jack's smile faded a little, but I could tell he was still happy that I was alive.

"How is he?" Jack rephrased to Race, looking at him.

"In a lot of pain. His cuts are healing well though, and his ankle is doing a little better as well from those cuts." Jack nodded to show he understood, and I could see how hurt he was. He was covered in bruises and fading cuts, looking as though he hadn't slept for months. I closed my eyes, unable to keep them open any longer. 

"Going back to sleep, Crutchie?" I heard Race ask. I nodded and coughed, trying to ignore the pain.

"Let me know when you wake up," Jack said, and I nodded once again. 

The room was darker than when I had woken up the first time, so I looked toward the window. It was dark out now, and I was unsure what time it was. I continued to look around the room, worried I may wake Jack. After a bit, though, I heard him move a bit.

"You awake?" He said. I looked at him and nodded, still feeling pain shooting through me. "How are you?" He asked, talking quietly.

"Not good," I said, finally managing to speak. Jack sat up and faced me, looking upset. "How long was I asleep?"

"Just a few hours." He looked me up and down, sighing. "I'm sorry this happened," he said, resting his head on his hand.

"It's not your fault," I smiled as much as I could, and he smiled back.