Chapter 33 - Back to Pain

Criticism spot! :)

I just thought I'd share that at this point, we are VEEEERY close to when the musical begins... ;)

Crutchie's POV

I woke up from pain shooting through my ankle, unsure why. I tensed up, gripping my shirt as if it would help. I laid there for a while as I waited for it to get better, but it wasn't. I kept my eyes closed tight, continuing to wait. 

"You okay?" I heard Jack say, not realizing he had woken up.

"Mhm," was all I could get out, keeping my eyes closed still.

"Your foot?" He asked, and I nodded. "C'mere," he said, pulling me in tighter. I rested against his chest, the pain continuing to grow worse rather than better. 

We laid there for a while, and Jack began to play with my hair to try and help me feel better. The pain just continued to grow worse, and I began to cry a bit, but not too hard. The morning bell rang, but I didn't move.

"Do you want me to stay here?" Jack asked gently, but I shook my head.

"No, we can get ready." I said, turning so I was on my back and putting my hands on my face.

"Do you feel any better?" He said as he got both of our clothes, setting mine beside me.

"No, it keeps getting worse," I sat up now, beginning to change.

"Maybe you should stay home," Jack smiled at me kindly, starting to change as well.

"I don't want to." I spoke a little colder than I meant to, but it was from how much pain I was in, not because I was mad at him. He understood that, continuing to smile and standing up. 

"You'll tell me if you need my help, though, right?" He helped me to stand, and I smiled at him as best I could, nodding. 

We began to walk and we were silent, as I usually needed to be quiet when focusing on not feeling the pain so much. However, it was growing worse and worse, so eventually I sighed, causing Jack to look at me.

"We need to talk about somethin', this hurts too bad. I need to be distracted." Right as I finished speaking, Race ran up from behind us, showing up at the perfect time.

He was able to distract me from my foot, as we all talked while heading to the Square. As we got in line, however, it was finally too much for me to take. I walked away from the group, sitting down on a nearby crate. Jack didn't see me walk away, but he eventually did notice my absence, walking over to me and kneeling down. 

"You really need to go home," he said, sounding worried.

"I can't just take a day off-"

"I'm not arguing with you on this. Go home." I sat for a moment, feeling anger build up inside.

"I can make my own decisions," I mumbled, keeping my eyes closed as the pain increased.

"I know you can. But I also know you'll push yourself too hard. I don't want you to hurt yourself more." He continued to talk kindly to me even though I didn't do the same back, which made me feel real bad about how I was acting. I sighed, unable to respond. "I'll go get my papes and then we'll get you back home. Okay?" He asked as I put my head in my hands, and I eventually nodded.

He got up and walked away, and I sat there nearly feeling sick from how much pain I was in. Every time I turned my head the world around me would spin, so I tried to make sure I didn't move at all. Eventually, I felt that Jack was back beside me, waiting patiently for me to get up. He had already sent the fellas out, and so it was just us.