Chapter 44 - Nearly There

Criticism spot! :)

As I'm sure you've guessed, there are only about 3-4 more chapters left of this book (including this chapter). I just want to thank you for reading and supporting this book, as it is my first attempt at any sort of fanfiction, and I know I have a lot of growing to do. Again, thank you from the bottom of my heart for reading. It truly means the entire world to me.

I do intend to keep writing in my one-shot book, and I also have plans for another Newsie book, as I'd love to write another now that I know my writing has mildly improved throughout this book. 

Thank you. <3

Crutchie's POV

It had now been three days since Les got jumped, and Jack and I were getting closer and closer to having the money we needed. We had made sixty bucks all together, but since we had to buy food, we were down to forty. Even though I had woken up a bit ago, I kept my eyes closed, hoping I'd be able to back to sleep. Eventually, Jack moved a bit to sit up, but I grabbed his shirt tightly, making him laugh a bit and settle back down.

"How long have you been awake?" He asked, but all I did was groan, not feeling like answering. "Fine, a few more minutes." He said, and I smiled a little. He began to play with my hair as we laid there, making me grow even more tired than I had already felt. After a bit I finally looked up at Jack, smiling.

"Morning," I mumbled, wishing we could go back to bed.

"So, how did you sleep?" He said with a smile, continuing to play with my hair.

"Not too bad," I rubbed my eyes before looking at him again, yawning.

"How's the foot?" 

"Better, not too much pain," he smiled at me as I spoke, clearly very happy for me.

"Good." He stretched a little before once again messing with my hair, sighing.

"You ready to tell them tonight?" I finally asked him, as we had both agreed that tonight we'd tell the fellas that we were leaving soon.

"I don't think I'll ever be ready for their reaction," he said, laughing a little.

"Me either. Who are you puttin' in charge?" Jack rose his eyebrows a bit, looking confused.

"Hm?"

"You know they'll ask who's gonna run things once you're gone," he looked down for a moment after I finished talking, as he had obviously not thought about it before.

"Who do you think I should pick?" He asked, catching me mildly off guard. 

"I think you should make it Race," I said, and he smiled a little more.

"I thought the same thing," once he finished talking the bell rang, making the both of us groan in annoyance. "Well, let's go," Jack said as he got up, grabbing our clothes.

The day was the same as any other, getting our papes, selling them, and heading home. Jack and I sat in the penthouse for a bit once we finished, and I could tell he was nervous about breaking the news, as he was completely focused on a sketch he was working on. 

"We can wait til tomorrow," I eventually spoke up, making Jack look at me.

"No, no. We'll do it tonight," he said, looking back down.

"You sure? You seem nervous," Jack then set his drawing aside, sighing deeply as he looked at me.

"I am," he mumbled, brushing his hair from his face. "Let's just go and get it over with," he said as he stood up, and I followed.