Chapter 29 - Dad

Criticism spot! :)

Jack's POV

I woke up before the sunrise, not something I did often. I looked down at Crutchie, seeing he was still asleep. I debated waking him for the sunrise, but decided I'd let him sleep. I smiled as I saw how peacefully he slept, his breathing rythmic. After a few minutes he stirred a little, moving in closer to me. I held him tight, assuming he was cold.

Only a few minutes after he first moved, he stirred once more, no longer looking peaceful. I noticed his eyebrows were furrowed, and I could tell he was about to have a nightmare. I gently moved him, wanting to wake him before it happened.

"Hm..?" He said, opening his eyes slowly.

"Morning," I smiled at him as he rubbed his eyes, and he smiled back.

"Mmm..." was all he said back, starting to fall asleep again.

"Hey, we gotta get up." I pushed his hair off his face and he opened his eyes again, sighing.

"Few more minutes..." He mumbled, closing his eyes and settling back down. I didn't say anything and just smiled, letting him fall asleep again.

After a bit I moved him once more, wishing I could let him sleep. He opened his eyes and lookd at me, grinning.

"We got's to wake up," I whispered, beginning to run my fingers through his hair.

"Uhg..." He said, stretching. "Why?"

"Cause we gotta work," I said, laughing a little at him.

"Why?" He smiled bigger now, waking up a bit more.

"So we can get money."

"Why?" He said one more time, giggling.

"Oh shut up," I laughed back, sitting up. He stayed laying down, rubbing his eyes again. I grabbed his clothes and sat them down beside him, and he smiled at me as a way to say thanks. I got my own clothes, changing.

"I don't want to work," Crutchie said eventually. I turned to him, seeing that he was fully changed now.

"Your ankle hurt?" I asked, walking over to him.

"Well I mean, yeah, but that's not why I don't wanna work." He said, smiling at me.

"Then why don't you wanna work?" I knelt down to his level, a smile still on my face.

"I don't wanna work 'cause I'm lazy." He said, giggling. I rolled my eyes jokingly, causing him to laugh a little more.

"C'mon tough guy, let's go." I got up and grabbed his crutch, and we went down the ladder to the Square.

"Hey guys!" Race called from behind us, running up and giving both of us a huge hug.

"Miss us or somethin'?" Crutchie said as Race let go, smiling.

"Of course! Plus, I'm not sure how much longer the guys would listen to me. They need Jack back," he looked at me and we started to walk again, a smile still on his face.

The day was the same as any other, average headline, sold all of my papes, and was waiting at the halfway point for Crutchie. I sat there for a while but there was no sign of him. I started to think that maybe his foot was hurtin' too bad so he sat down for a break, so I got up and walked towards his corner.

"Crutchie?" I called out, since he was likely in an alley if he was resting. I didn't get a response, but I thought he could've fallen asleep.

I ran up and down every alley, my heart starting to pound in my chest. I couldn't find him anywhere. I ran to Race's corner just in time to see him leaving, and I grabbed his shoulder.