Chapter 36 - Strike

criticism spot! :)

since this entire book is based around not being exactly like the script of the show, I will go through scenes that are VERY VERY different than they would be in the musical. Not everything will be exactly like it, because that's boring, as you're here to read a "different" story! I hope you enjoy!

**THINGS THAT ARE THE EXACT SAME WILL NOT BE DESCRIBED. You will see little to no scenes with Katherine, as they aren't changed (besides the fact that her and Jack don't get together).

Crutchie's POV

It had been a few weeks since Jack and I took those days off, and I was really improving. I would still wake up crying from nightmares now and then, but not nearly as much as I had been. It took me a while to get used to game nights again, but I eventually was able to start going again. I woke up before the morning bell, keeping my body against Jack's rather than rolling over to watch the sunrise. I closed my eyes again, waiting for him to wake up.

"Morning," he said after a few minutes. I looked up at him, smiling.

"Morning," I said back, rubbing my eyes. We sat still for a moment before Jack stood up, yawning as he did so. 

He walked over to my clothes, handing me what he picked out. We both got changed in silence as we continued to wake up, eventually heading down the ladder to the square. As we walked in, you could feel that the headline was bad without even reading it.

"What is it?" Jack asked Race as we walked in, sighing.

"Trolley Strike Enters Third Week. How many weeks in a row are we going to have to try and sell that shit?" Race said, rolling his eyes and walking over to get in line. We followed, Jack at the front of the line.

"Weasel!" He said with a smile, laughing already.

"The name's Weisel." Mr. Weisel said, his tone angry. 

"Ain't that what I said?" Jack turned around to the fellas, laughing, before turning back. "I'll take the usual." He set his money down and the line moved, Jack heading to sit down next to the wagon.

"Hundred pape's for the wise guy," Weisel said, raising his voice.

"Mornin' Weasel," Race said, leaning against the pole beside Weisel. 

"At least call me Mister," he said, putting his hand out.

"I'll call you sweetheart if you spot me fifty papes," Race mocked, making the guys laugh.

"Drop the cash, or move it along." He spat back. Race stood and dropped his coins, still smirking.

"Well, whatever happened to romance?" Everyone laughed again, and I couldn't help but chuckle, even though I felt bad. I set my money down in front of Weisel, smiling.

"Good morning Mr. Weisel," he smiled back at me, taking my money.

"Fifty papes for Crutchie." I took them from Oscar's hands, heading over to Jack and sitting beside him. He opened the pape and started to read it, something he did everyday.

"Anything interesting?" I asked, peering over to look. 

"Not really," Jack mumbled as we both tuned out the fellas behind us. That was until we heard a kid's voice, not something we heard very often.

"I'm new too!" He said, standing next to a tall boy. Jack and I turned back to one another, and I could see him thinking already. 

"You gonna try and partner up?" I asked, and he nodded. We waited for a few moments for everyone to get their papes, however, another delay happened in the line.