Chapter 19 - What If

Criticism spot :)

**THIS CHAPTER CONTAINS SU**CIDE. SKIP THIS CHAPTER IF THAT TRIGGERS YOU.**

Crutchie's POV

I woke up to Jack pushing me a little. I turned around to face him, but saw that he was actually just kneeling down to push me and was dressed.

"Hm..?" I said, confused.

"Morning," Jack said in a quiet voice, probably because I had just woken up.

"Morning," I stretched out and yawned, rubbing my eyes.

"The morning bell rang a few minutes ago. You gotta get up." He said, smiling at me.

"Hm..? It did?" I said up and Jack nodded, grabbing my clothes.

"I let you sleep in a bit. You're probably still tired from the last few days." He handed me my shirt, and I took it, smiling. I nodded, agreeing with what he had said. "How are you feeling today? Any better?" I started to change as he talked, still waking up a little.

"My ankle doesn't hurt as bad, but I still feel weak." I finished buttoning my shirt, and Jack handed me my pants.

"Hey, at least you're feeling a little better." He gave me a smile and ruffled my hair. I returned the smile, wishing I could just go back to sleep. "Ready to head to the square?" I nodded, sighing and getting up. 

We were standing around in Newsie Square, just talkin' before we went to sell. Jack, Romeo, Race, Specs, and a few other fellas, including myself, were standing in a circle and talking about various things. I was being quiet, just because of how tired I was. As I followed the conversation they were having, I heard my name come from another group of fellas. I turned around, but no one was looking at me. 

"He what?" I heard a different voice ask from the same group.

"He ran away," the same guy from before said. It was a kid I barely knew, named James. The other who spoke just before him had the nickname Smokes, but I didn't know his real name.

"Wait, really? That's so fuckin' stupid," I turned back to the group I was standing with, but kept my focus on the other guys.

"I know. That's why Jack didn't sell for a few days." James said, sounding upset.

"Damn, he's real shitty. I could never waste my time on someone like that." I heard someone else say, but I didn't see who. My heart sank and I began feeling sick to my stomach. While the fellas in my group were still talking, Jack turned to look at me.

"Crutchie, are you okay?" He put his hand on my shoulder and I faced him. I shook my head, still feeling sick. "Let's go somewhere alone, okay?" Jack continued, starting to walk away. I nodded and followed, remaining silent.

He brought us to an alley just one block over and sat down. I joined him, my stomach still turning.

"What's wrong?" He said, facing me.

"I, uh," I took a deep breath to try and get rid of the sick feeling. "I just heard some things." I kept my gaze away from Jack, not wanting him to see my expression.

"What did you hear?" He asked, still looking at me.

"Just a few things. It really isn't a big deal, I'm overreacting." I shrugged, looking at him and giving him a smile.

"Are you sure..?" I don't know why I ever tried to lie to him, as he could always tell when something was up. But, if I wanted to drop something, he never pushed me. 

"Yeah, yeah. I'm fine." I gave him another smile, wanting to forget what I had heard.

"Okay," Jack said, standing up and putting his hand out for me to grab. "Let's get selling."