Chapter 40 - Snapping

criticism spot :)

Crutchie's POV

I woke up before the bell, and immediately noticed I was shaking. I was unsure why, as I hadn't woken up from a nightmare or anything. I tried to brush it off, keeping my body close to Jack's as I attempted to stop shaking. After a bit I felt him move as he woke up as well, so I looked up at him.

"Morning," he said, smiling at me.

"Morning," I said, my voice sounding just as shaky as my body.

"Did you have a nightmare?" He asked, noticing how badly I was shaking.

"No, I just woke up and was like this," I said, looking away from him. "I feel scared, but I dunno why."

"That's okay. We got time to rest some more, so let's just keep laying here." He said with a smile, and I nodded.

We continued to lay down and Jack began to play with my hair, staying silent so I could focus on calming down at least a little. Eventually, the morning bell rang, and I looked up at Jack, sighing.

"It's not getting better, let's just go," I said, sitting up.

"You sure?" Jack stood, walking to our clothes.

"Yeah, I think I'm just gonna have a rough time keeping calm all day," I said, referencing to the fact that whenever I felt like this, I was real prone to panic attacks.

"Maybe you should stay home," Jack walked over to me with clothes, setting them beside me.

"That'll just make me feel weak," I said, unable to help myself from choking up a bit as I said that. I was able to get past it, getting dressed and going silent.

"Just take it easy then today," Jack said, knowing I wouldn't give up on selling. I nodded and we went down the ladder.

"Hey!" Race called from behind us after a while, and we turned to look at him, seeing Romeo and Specs close behind. I could feel myself tense up as I saw Romeo, as I was still upset about yesterday. Instead of continuing to let it bother me, however, I smiled at Race.

"Morning," Jack and I said in unison as they caught up to us. Just as yesterday, Specs, Romeo, and Jack started to talk as Race leaned over to me a bit.

"How're you?" He whispered, smiling sympathetically.

"A bit better. I just feel super scared for no reason, it's weird." I said, and he nodded.

"I get that way sometimes, too. Just remember to breathe, okay?" I nodded, smiling. Race joined the conversation that was happening, and I just listened to them as we walked.

I continued to stay quiet as we got our papes, not wanting to risk pushing myself too far and ending up having a panic attack over nothing. I would laugh and smile along with the fellas, though, not wanting yesterday to happen again. Jack would glance at me from time to time, wanting to make sure I was doing alright. As we separated from everyone to head to our corners Jack wasted no time to look at me with a worried expression, stopping to face me.

"You doing okay so far?" He asked.

"Yeah, I'm okay. Don't worry," I said with a smile, but he didn't seem convinced. "What?"

"You just seem... Off." He said, and I quickly grew confused.

"How?"

"I can't really explain it." He continued to stare at me as he spoke, looking more upset than before.

"I'm okay, really." I said with a smile again, and he sighed, turning to continue walking.

Once we had parted I kept thinking about what Jack had said, trying to figure out what could seem off about me today. As I sold throughout the day, I couldn't shake it from the back of my mind.