Chapter 10: The Queen's Favor

"Telepathic!" Teal shouted at him, "wait..." she thumbed through her memories recalling the times people came to their room to talk with him "you mean they didn't even need to come in this room to talk to you!"

"It's not like that."

"Then what is it like?" She was furious

"They came in because I am not..."

"You just said..."

"WE..." he sighed "I said we, as in my species is Telepathic, well the females are anyway." He smiled "Nyala did tell you that we are a Matriarchal society right..."

     Teal finally understood what was staring her right in the face "Nyala is your Queen isn't she?"

     "Yes." He fidgeted "She is the one female that can have any male she wants without even asking and for some reason," he smiled at Teal "she felt she needed to ask for your permission first."

     "Can more than one Dragon bond with a human?"

     "We're calling it bonding now?" He rolled his eyes "okay..." he thumbed through his thoughts "I can't actually think of it happening before, but yeah it is possible."

     "Great I have the most stubborn Dragon there is as a mate and I might have the Queen as a mate too..."

     "Are we back to calling it mate now..." he frowned. "Seriously, I'm just trying to keep up with you." He displayed his playful wide grin for her trying to get her to smile "that and figure out why this has you so worked up."

Her expression turned from overthinking to low, "I've just been wondering..." she moved to the other side of the room away from him and slid down the wall into a seated position on the floor. "What happens when you don't agree with me on something really important" she fought back the anger and sorrow that this brought up. "Will you walk away like everyone I knew did?"

     His heart sank as his rage grew "leave it to you to piss me off and break my heart at the same time..." he made his way to her side slowly "I don't think you understand the intensity of your situation..." he stopped in front of her and knelt down to meet her eye to eye. " If I am separated from you in any way, it could kill me..." he paused then reluctantly corrected himself "no, it will kill me." He sighed and wiped the tears that were starting to show in her eyes and stream down her face. "My species remains by their mate for their whole lives and not to be morbid or anything," he tried to wave off anything that might scare her "we do live an unusually long life...but we even die together."

     "So when I kick it, your long life is cut short" She shrugged "fabulous."

     He laughed "okay, maybe I could have phrased that better... when I say we, I mean the process of mate or bond or whatever you are calling it now..." he felt relief as she smiled a bit "the process itself lengthens our lives" he looked at her and raised an eyebrow "as in you too."

     "When does that kick in" she wondered

     "Very early on, you will heal better now too."

     "How many times have you had people walk away as soon as their lives were lengthened?"

     "Me personally?" He sat down on the floor and scooted closer to her. "I've lost count." He frowned as he picked at an imaginary spot on the floor.

     As she watched him she felt a wave of kinship wash over her "so you understand what I feel..." she smiled as tears poured out "nobody has ever understood..." her voice cracked and she stopped talking.