Chapter 19: Sage & Knifejaw

Knifejaw raced down the hallway on three legs, with one of his front legs wrapped around Sage in a protective embrace.

The hallway had been lined with aids in preparation to regain control and stop a major fight. Knifejaw snarled once and all of them dove into the nearest room to be out of his way. They had been forewarned about how protective the Dragons could be over their human companions and none of them wanted a fight with him.

It took him no time at all to make it into their room. He slammed the door, bolted it and climbed gently into their nest making sure he soothed her with the chitters that always made her smile.

He ran his tail up and down her back and held her tight using his limbs as shields as she sobbed against him.

Knifejaw kept a close eye on the door, he still didn't trust the humans that were their captors.

Sage wiggled in his arms and mumbled something causing him to release his grip to hear her clearly "I'm sorry." She repeated

     He nuzzled her to let her know she needn't apologize then cuddled her in their nest until she calmed down enough to talk about it. He changed and pulled her closet "Tell me," he nuzzled her gently "what happened, how can I fix this for you?"

     Sage took a deep breath "the jackass let it slip and made Teal cry."

     Knifejaw stretched "well he was fun to have around" he smirked "if Xerus doesn't kill him Nyala will."

     Sage laughed "think they'll let me watch"

     "I'll ask," he kissed her nose.

     Sage grew serious "Teal said that you can shoot blanks if you want." She fidgeted nervously. "Does that mean you have been deliberately trying to not get me pregnant?"

     "Yeah, it kinda was a have too for your protection."

"Oh," she sat up and leaned against him resting her right arm on his bulky well defined abs. "Do you want kids?"

"Yes, but..." He rubbed his forehead "I've always just assumed that you wouldn't want to give birth to a freak like me." The years of name calling and torment of their captures showed on his pained face.

     "You're not a freak." She furrowed her brow then asked "do you really see yourself like that?"

     Knifejaw nodded "it's hard to see yourself as anything important when you are treated like a beast of burden." He chuckled "or a beast to abuse." The pain of hard memories flashed across his face for a moment then he buried the memories and put on a blank stern expression. "It's okay, I understand" he took a breath "you are allowed to think whatever you want of me."

     "Hmmm, maybe I need to show you what I think." She smiled at him lovingly

      He raised an eyebrow "right to sex?"

      Sage giggled "no, that comes later" she ran her hand through his hair. "First I want you to know why I Love you."

     "Oh really, there is a why?" He smirked playfully

     "Yes," she smiled as he wiped away the remaining tears "and there is a what too."

      Knifejaw was puzzled "a what?" He asked slowly.

      "Yes, For example I love how you keep your hair longer than other males."

     He smiled "oh"

     "I love how you are proud of the years you've survived." She kissed his nose "and proud of the lines and creases those years have given you."

     He kissed her back "you like my wrinkles." He chuckled "okay."

    "I love how strong you are," she ran her hands across his muscular arms "you take pride in your body and you keep it in incredibly good shape."

     "Yes well, mating with you is incredibly good exercise." Sage laughed as she thought of the hours of play fighting that led to the best sex.

"I love how we can talk about anything, how you protect me but let me lead the way."

     "That's because if you are in the lead I get to stare at that ass of yours" he spanked her playfully and the two laughed. "You said why?"

"Yes, I did." She smiled "the why is how you treat me, the respect, the concern, you take such good care of me." She took a breath "it's also the way we are so at ease with each other. How safe I feel with you." She kissed his nose "you are the first person in my life to believe I am important and treat me like it."

"You are important," he smiled at her clear expression of disbelief "because you are important to me..." he responded "and if I am a tower of strength and such a great role model then you can't deny your importance." He ran his hand through her hair "because you make me want to live."

She laid down in his arms and nuzzled, allowing herself to relax "I love how I feel so safe in your arms." She took a deep breath inhaling his scent "when you put your arms around me I feel your energy and your scent wrapped around me so strongly that everything else vanishes."

     "Sage, " he grew serious "Do you want to have children?"

"Yes."

"How many?"

"I'm willing to negotiate" she smiled "but we can start at one."

"Boy or girl?"

"Can you choose that?" She asked

"Yes," he smiled "boy or girl?"

"We'll, I really want a boy that is just like his father but has little bits and pieces of me too."

"I hope he has your eyes, and your hair color." He smiled at the thought "it would make his colors in his dragon form breathtaking."

She laughed "can you choose all that stuff too?"

"No, that is strictly the luck of the draw."

"Do you think our kids will have your calm, quiet, you piss me off and you die demeanor, or will they be more in your face like me."

"Oh I love your attitude..." he growled with pleasure "honestly, I would have intervened... but it was real hot watching you throttle that idiot."

Sage laughed "I could always pick a fight later if you want."

He smiled "hmmm." He stroked the goatee on his chin "that might be fun... depending on who."

"Is it wrong for me to want a daughter just like you." She took a breath to ease the nerves "I just want a female dragon that doesn't look at me like I'm in the way all the time."

Knifejaw frowned "I'm sorry, I honestly didn't notice that they do that."

"You're to busy looking at my ass."

He laughed "probably."

"So what do you want?" She kissed his nose then rested her head on his chest.

"I'm thinking..." I agree with you on all points for both genders." He thought for a moment.

"Which would make those females more jealous?"

"Well, I think a little boy would do that." He sighed "a girl would make them think they had a chance to turn your own daughter against you."

"So that means we try for a boy first."

"Oh Sage honey, trust me..." he kissed her deeply "there is no need in putting the word try in that sentence."

He rolled her over and tackled her making her giggle "do you want this to be a fight or a love fest?" She asked

"Do you still have frustrations that you need to get out?" He hoped silently for a yes answer

"Yes"

"We'll then," he growled with joy "bring it on."