Chapter 21: The Mark of Mate

The Dragons all laughed as Teal rushed out to get some help. "Who knew he was such a lightweight?" Xerus retorted and the laughter roared again as Teal remerged with some staff.

     "What happened?" One asked eying Xerus who was enjoying this way to much.

    "We were discussing how fast we can pick a body clean." Fossa smiled at the workers "what was the time again?"

     "Senji said he could do it in 5 seconds even if the body was still fighting back." Xerus smirked

     Teal came up beside the now terrified staff.  "Stop it, all of you..." it's not funny anymore"

      Xerus started to argue but Teal glared "how would you like it if someone was saying that about me?"

     "That's different..."

     "How?" She scowled

     "You're my mate, nobody is allowed to eat you"

     "How are they to know the difference if you haven't introduced me to them?"

     "Uh" Xerus didn't like how that made sense

     "Or do you plan on keeping me prisoner here locked at your side with no freedom to ensure my safety?"

     "No," Xerus grew nervous "Teal, we were only..."

     "Xerus, it may be funny to you, but you are huge, powerful and known to eat our kind... it's not funny to us."

    "Is this one of those learn from each other moments you spoke of?" He watched as the staff scooped up Doc and carried him out.

     "Yes," she calmed down and took a breath "why don't you think on it a while, I'm going to make sure Doc is alright." Teal turned in a slightly less angry huff and followed the staff out.

     "I think I'm sleeping in the nest alone tonight."

     "What, Nyala's not going to keep you company?" Senji asked

     "Nope, he likes to cuddle way to much for my taste."

     "Do not."

     "Anyone ever tell you that you are a horrible liar?" Fossa asked

     "Maybe you could teach me, you and I both know you are an expert at it."

     "Boundaries," Senji stepped in between the former lovers and glared at Xerus "leave her alone." He growled politely "I think this is exactly what she was talking about, learn instead of getting angry over every little thing..."

     "She started it!"

     "Well someone needs to since you are such an expert on ending things so spectacularly cruel!"

    "Hey!" Senji looked at her puzzled and almost hurt. "Mate here wanting to know what is going on...why the sudden rash of temper?"

    "Can't you smell it?" She fought tears and pointed at the door that Teal had just left through "he has two pregnant and everyone else is on hold." She scowled at him "yet again he proves he is above the rules."

    "Temper, love..." he kissed her forehead "cool your temper."

     "Not true," Nyala responded "there are several couples here that are expecting. One of the more recent additions is Knifejaw and his human mate Sage."

     "Why weren't we told about this?" Senji asked

     "We were just mentioning that we need to find a better way to communicate when you arrived." Xerus shrugged "War is hell on everything and everyone."