Chapter 20: What's to be of...

When morning broke the staff was running panicked. The war had escalated overnight as the fight for territory grew aggressive.

     The Dragons had responded to the threat not as expected, this time they launched an attack. The decision had come swiftly from the true royals of the Dragon species. Nyala and Xerus had agreed.

       "No more!" Nyala's words still echoed in Teals mind. She sat in the rocker in her room worrying. Every Zoo had been taken over by the Dragons and had been transformed into a residence with the staff staying on to act as their servants and for a change, the place was opened up to allow movement everywhere. They still accepted visitors however, the price of admission went way up as that now there was a chance you could talk face to face with a Dragon.

       "When are we going to admit that only the royal court was captured?" Xerus asked Nyala as they came into the room.

      "Not now, Xerus." Nyala rubbed her forehead "I still have to review all the battle plans, approve the removal of the former government and what to do with the leaders of it." She sighed as she sat down next to Teal. "I am just overwhelmed."

      "So maybe we should divide and conquer."

     "What?"

    "Let me eat them, problem solved."

    "Xerus" she rolled her eyes "not helping."

     Teal sighed "he means, you deal only with the war and everything that it entails." She took a breath trying to get rid of the bubbling panic "I suggest you let Knifejaw deal with everything that is involved with security." she turned to look at Xerus who was frowning "sorry, but he is far more terrifying and that is what is needed."

     "I want to eat someone."

      She watched as Nyala nodded in agreement  with Teal's suggestion then she continued "I suggest you put Senji and Fossa in charge of dealing with the former government" and now both were frowning, but for different reasons "I mean they are the face that everyone knows and keep in mind you and your people are safe because of them." She folded her arms stubbornly "if that doesn't deserve a promotion I don't know what does!"

      "Then what am I to do?" Xerus enquired "who do I get to eat?"

     "Simple, everyone loves you." She laughed ignoring the dietary request "I mean they obsess over you." She smiled "so play into that, you have the ability to make the people welcome this change and be proud of what their world is changing into."

     "And what is that?" He smiled at her

    "A world of differences and a world with character." She thought of the possibility and it brought her a bit of hope.

     "A world where uniqueness and cultural differences are things that are loved to learn about and share. A world where everyone has the right to speak freely and others don't respond with I'm offended but with a curiosity to learn how it is that others see the world so different than you that it would spark such a visceral reaction."

      "You think I can do that?"

     Teal stood up and faced him "You my dear are the one Dragon who everyone has a crush on, male and female alike" she giggled and pointed at him "you they fan girl over."

      Nyala broke her silence "I like her idea." She stood up and smiled "I would love to deal only with the war."

     "Maybe that is what this was all about," Teal thought aloud "maybe the purpose was to get your people to change the way they handle their own governing?"