Chapter 11: The War Turns

The night was intense and glorious, Teal woke up with a smile on her face nestled in between her two mates. The door to her room was open and Teal could see that the sun was rising slowly. "Wait, why hasn't someone been in here yet?"

     Xerus snapped up and sniffed the air as Nyala rolled over and snuggled Teal. Nervously he eased out of the nest and made his way to the door. With his ear to the door he hit the button repeatedly with his tail... nothing, no alarm, no movement...just nothing. He turned sharply and changed form as he did "My Queen, we have an issue." He clenched his fists nervously, his thoughts raced to all his friends. One by one he pictured them in his mind hoping that they weren't taken away from him.

     Shaking at Xerus's visual fear Nyala released Teal and climbed out of bed changing form as she did. She quickly scanned for the other female minds nearby "More than an issue, Xerus..." she took a deep breath an scanned the space beyond their room "the war has come here, it appears some of our allies don't like being bullied and bossed around."

     Teal sat up "What do you mean by; it has come here?" The memories started swirling around in her head. "No," she took a breath as the anxiety started to swell "not again..." the tears started to flow as she frantically tried to climb out of the nest.

     Xerus rushed over and cradled her trembling body in his arms "it won't be like that," he kissed her forehead as he forgot his own fear "you have us, you aren't alone."

     Nyala came over and held her chin in her petite hand "There is nowhere safer than by my side." She smiled at Xerus "he and I may not always get along but we both love you very much." She kissed her gently "unlike the people around you before, we will not abandon you."

     Xerus's thoughts caught up with him as he winked at Nyala, hoping she he was paying attention this time "Teal, what do you recommend we do?"

     Nyala's' smile widened "yes, Love... what do we do?"

      "If there was a way to make your people invaluable to their survival..." she broke free of their grip and started to pace.

"Other than the fact that of all those attacking at the moment only one is not our ally." Xerus sat on the edge of the nest and picked at the loose branches.

"No, I am not ready to intervene" Nyala took a frustrated breath "I am not ready to loose our allies trust by defending our mutual enemy."

"But that's the point isn't it," Teal stopped pacing and stared at the locked door "not all of them are your enemy... just those that are in charge right now."

"So is there a way to remove them from power without turning into them..." Xerus asked

Nyala smiled "yes, we don't want to turn into the dictator, that would suddenly make them the victim..." she sighed "that would kill the point."

Teal frowned "we need to make the people see that they are better off by removing them from power.

"How do you make a people fight for themselves when they don't want to." Xerus frowned

"Don't look at me" Teal pouted "I failed at that remember... that's why I am here."

Xerus reached for her, pulled her to him and cuddled her close "we could always..." he looked at Nyala and raised an eyebrow.

     "Well, there is that" Nyala paced deep in thought "but their people don't know about that..."

     "...And I don't think it's a good idea to tell them," Xerus frowned "but what choice do we have?"