Chapter 4: The secret of the Dragons

The door crept open and a worker nervously poked their head in. Immediately Xerus's eyes popped open and a sly smile appeared on his face. Teal flicked the side of his head and scolded him "be nice, they are probably bringing me food." He grumbled at her as she continued "you don't want me to starve do you?" Xerus folded his front legs in a pout doing his best to mock & imitate her. He dropped his hands to his side then glared at her.

The door opened wider and the worker followed by two others rushed in with crates of food to fill the cupboards. Doc followed just behind them with something in his hands. "Hello you two" he smiled "Teal I will get back to you sometime tomorrow about the schooling question, but I bring with me catalog's"

Doc handed the stack over to her as the workers made repeated trips behind them. "My you sure seem relaxed Xerus?" He scratched the side of Xerus's head making him close his eyes in pleasure "those are furniture catalog's, just mark what you want and we will see that you get it.

"Thank you," she smiled as she looked at the stack.

"No, thank you..." he turned to follow the workers out "this is the first time he hasn't chewed up the workers since he's been here." When he reached the door he paused "I will be bolting this door when I leave, the facility is closing for the night," he took a breath and pointed out a button on the wall by the door. "There will only be a skeleton crew here every night if there is an emergency press this and the guards on duty will contact me." He turned to leave "please make sure it is only an emergency...as soon as Xerus found the blasted thing he has been pressing it every time he gets bored!" Doc left and bolted the door behind him as he said he would.

Teal collected her thoughts then leaned over to look him in his eye "really?" He laughed "you really chew on people?" She rolled her eyes and turned around to head into her room.

"You're not going to yell at me for pushing the button?" A male voice asked.

Before she could register who the voice came from she responded "no because honestly I may do the same thing..." she whipped around to see a tall dark haired man in black leather robes standing where Xerus had been.

"Who the hell are you?" She glared at him as she dropped the catalog's eyeing the room for a weapon "what did you do to him, where is Xerus?"

"Relax, I am him." He smirked "watch..." he turned around to walk to the nest and transformed back into the dragon as he walked.

"What?" Her jaw hit the floor in shock "how..." she rushed back into the outer room.

He turned around and raised an eyebrow at her then growled as he changed back into his human form. "Are you really going to ask me how I did that?" He laughed

"No," she collected herself the stomped over to him and slapped him "that is for playing with me earlier like I was food and letting me nearly hit the floor and for your rude behavior in the nest earlier." She folded her arms in a pout "and for the record I was going to say...How could they keep you locked up like a beast if you are not!"

"Simple," he smiled "they don't know..."

"What?" She stepped back as he came closer to her.

He looked at the floor nervously "I mean, we..." he looked up at her without raising his head and gestured at the building "we, haven't felt safe enough to tell anyone."

"So why tell me?" Suddenly she realized she might be considered a disposable witness "you aren't planning on eating me are you?"

"Please, I only chew on people who piss me off... I don't eat people." He smiled "usually... but I do prefer my meals still kicking, it's more fun that way." He turned and walked over to the nest. "If we are going to be stuck together, for our mutual benefit..." he jumped up onto the edge of the nest and sat down "then you need to be in on our little secret."

"What does this mean for me?"

He laid back resting his head in his arms and looked up at the ceiling "Well, I guess we can figure that out as we go?"

"Does this mean you are going to be sleeping with me in..."

"No," he sat up quickly and leaned in her direction "I prefer my nest when I sleep, I like the free feeling of my dragon form when I sleep." He raised an eyebrow "but I will be using your bathroom and kitchen...depending on what they brought you of course." He looked at her questioningly.

"I can live with that..." she walked towards him "how are your cooking skills?"

"Not bad, why?"

"Well, if we have to rely on mine..." she smiled nervously "we might starve."

He laughed "okay, come on..." he jumped down and met her halfway "if we can agree to give this a chance," he smiled "can I help you pick out furniture if I cook you dinner?"

"Yes, but I want to hear more about your people." She turned and headed for her room.

"Deal, then you get to tell me how you ended up as a prisoner of war."

"I get the feeling that your story is going to be more interesting." She picked up the catalog's and headed for the kitchen. She hopped up onto one of the counters and made herself comfortable.

"Not to me..." he stepped into the room after her and made his way to the kitchen too. "I know my story." He rummaged through the crates to see what they sent then started to put it all away. "Don't be surprised if there is a knock at the door." He frowned as he pulled out the nut butter "I am the only one they lock up." He showed her it "do you really eat this crap?"

"Yes...what" she laughed at his frown "when it's all you can afford and not something you have to cook, you get used to it."

He sat it on the counter with a thud and a gag "I think I am may to have to rearrange your tastebuds" he frowned.

She was getting ready to argue when a knock was heard on the door in his nest room.

"Their here..." he smiled "wanna meet the gang?"

"They aren't going to slap me around are they?" She fidgeted nervously.

"Hey," he rubbed his face "you are the one that has gotten violent in this relationship not me remember." He headed for the door.

She laughed and jumped down to follow him. "You deserved it..."

"Says who."

"You were rude and..."

He stopped and faced her "I'm a dragon sweetheart, I was rude by your standards not mine..." he chuckled and banged on the outer door twice "if I remember correctly, our species have different customs." The door started to creek open "maybe you need to be more accepting of other lifestyle's."