Chapter 9: Teal rules

Teal looked around her at the people leaning against the wall, then up at the dragons circling above her. Most of them were showing off for the crowd but not Xerus and Kob. They were still in the corner shoving each other around. The war between the two beasts had apparently turned into a slap fight reminiscent of a couple of cranky children.

     Teal rolled her eyes and tried to ignore them. Xerus caught her eye roll and quietly backed away from Kob giving him a snarky growl. Xerus dove down and did a few flips trying to get Teals attention back on him and it worked. He landed on a rail and watched her far below him.

     Angrily Kob zoomed down and landed on the rail beside Xerus. Xerus rolled his eyes and ignored him but Kob kept snarling at him. Xerus blew some fire for the other dragons to dodge and dive trough making the crowd applaud and cheer.

     Xerus moved away from Kob and watched the crowd for opportunities to make them jump and cheer. Kob snarled louder and crept up on Xerus who kept ignoring him until finally out of irritation Kob shoved him. Xerus looked down at Teal then in response to Kob he turned his back towards him and let out a fart so loud that it ricocheted through the giant room making visitors either burst out laughing or run gagging for the exits.

     Xerus looked down at Teal who was rolling with laughter like the rest of the humans on the ground. Meanwhile Kob had turned an unusual shade of green. He growled at Xerus quietly, looking like he was about to be sick.

     Down below Teal roared with laughter as the workers emerged to see what the fuss was about, Doc was right behind them "what is all the noise?"

     "Kob is trying to pick a fight with Xerus" Teal answered in between breaths "so Xerus farted on him" she burst out laughing as Xerus pinned Kob's head on the rail then sat on it and looked around with glee as the visitors erupted in cheers and fits of laughter again.

     "I think I like the effect you have on him." Doc smiled at her then went back inside.

     Up above Teal noticed Sage and Knifejaw, she smiled at the two and bowed her head in respect. With a smile Sage did the same then pressed herself tightly against him. Knifejaw winked at her then soared into the air higher and higher before seamlessly turning into a spiral dive making the entire room take notice.

     Soon it became a challenge to see who could outdo whom with the best aerial trick. After several hours Doc's voice came over the loudspeaker announcing that it was now closing time. The crowd reluctantly headed for the exits.

      Teal smiled and made her way back to the nest. Stepping into the room she was relieved to see it was clean and storage free. She went to her space and grabbed the catalog's and a pen. She spread them out across the edge of the nest and thumbed through them slowly circling everything she wanted.

     Xerus burst into the room like a hyperactive puppy and tackled her. A few workers were right behind him "we will be back in about an hour with some more groceries for you and dinner for him." They closed and bolted the door behind them when they left.

      As soon as he heard the door bolt he morphed with a smile. "So, how was that..." he kissed her sweetly "you said we needed to entertain the costumers rather than scare them.." he shrugged.

     "You will see how right I am tomorrow as the number of visitors increase" she smiled and kissed him back very deeply.

     "Hmm..." he raised his eyebrows "you want something," he kissed her nose "you are trying to trick me..." he kissed her nose again "Nope," he jumped out of the nest and morphed.

     "Xerus, just hear me out..."

     He vigorously shook his head no and paced back and forth.

     "Where are you going to go" she laughed "you have to listen" she folded her arms as he glared at her "I just want to know why none of you will breed with Babiana?"

Xerus rolled his eyes and morphed "because we aren't her mate."

"They aren't asking you to be." She sighed "you can't be serious..." she took a deep breath and tried to collect her thoughts so she would know what to say "all of you accept her and her mate Jonquil, correct"

     "Yeah, so..."

     "Don't they deserve the right to be parents?" She relaxed as she saw that she had him. "Why can't you just give her a child and nothing else" she sighed "why can't anyone just give her a child?" She put on her best sad face "it doesn't have to be you... why not Kob."

     "Stop that," he moaned "that's cheating..." he walked over to the nest and flipped through the magazine's "I'll talk with him later tonight." Xerus picked up a pen and circled a few things "you do have a point, maybe we haven't been as supportive to them as we could be."

     Teal smiled and kissed him "thank you."

     "You're welcome," he kissed her forehead "you don't play fair."

"Did you have fun today?" She grinned at the memory of Kob nearly hurling.

"Yes," he laughed "Kob says he's going to kick my ass," he swapped out the catalog he was looking at for another one and continued "however, it was totally worth it."

"Is Nyala pregnant?"

"We'll know soon enough."

"The fun part is the making of the kid so... here's hoping she's not pregnant quite yet?"

Xerus smiled "I like that," he kissed her as the door bolt started rattling "times up," he morphed and climbed into the nest behind her and laid down to rest.

Teal circled something in the catalog she was looking at just as the door opened and Doc entered escorting a crew with crates. "Food is here Teal," he smiled "good news Xerus, you get to decide today, would you like your dinner in here or in the flight ring?"

Xerus rolled over onto his back and played dead. "I think he means in here" Teal laughed.

"Very good," he gestured at one of the workers then turned to leave but Teal stopped him.

"Before you leave..." she paused "is there anything you wish you could get from the Dragons?"

"Well, yes" he turned back to face her "we would like it if they could be trained," Xerus growled and Doc rephrased his request "you know follow a routine during some of the more higher priced visitor periods..."

"I'll see what I can do, but..." she pushed back a smile "but it will cost you," she took a deep breath "you will have to give in to one of their demands."

"Name it."

"I'll get back to you."

"Fair enough." He bowed "so I will speak more with you tomorrow about that then?" He asked.

     "I should have an idea of what they want by then yes."

     "Very good, leave the catalog's you are done with in the hands of the crew, they will see to it that everything gets ordered for you." Doc turned and left.

     One of the crew members stopped as he exited "I have so many more things to do... can I come back for those in say an hour?"

     "Of course,"

     He bowed in gratitude then left leaving the door slightly ajar. He returned a few minutes later with Xerus's dinner then scooped up the catalogs she was done with and bolted the door when he left.

     "I don't know what you would want" Teal asked Xerus "but I know what I want to ask for, I just don't know how the best to do this..."

     He gave her a questioning look in between bites and she nervously continued "You need to be in touch with the other Dragons, those that are scattered throughout this region in other Zoos like this one...." she sighed "and those that are still free." She tossed the catalog onto the nest edge and sat down. "I don't mean to insult you but I really think you need to be more organized." Xerus smiled at her as if he had a secret.

     Teal noticed "what?" She sighed in frustration "what aren't you telling me?"

     Xerus smiled devilishly.