Chapter 23: Making Her Mark

Teal winced as the Shaman hammered the tattoo into her skin bit by bit. "Why did I let you talk me into this!"

"Because I'm cute" Xerus smiled

Teal tried to slap him with her free hand "What about you, don't you need one of these?"

"Nyala gets to give me mine" he winced at the thought of it "you have it easier, she gets to draw blood."

     "So do you" Nyala growled

     "If you think I am going to enjoy that part... I don't think you know me as well as you say you do" then the thought hit him and he turned to the Shaman "Could you give me this exact tattoo?" He asked the Shaman.

     "Yes," the Shaman responded "I'm assuming cost is no option."

     "Whatever you want we will pay you." Nyala was puzzled.

     "What are thinking about Xerus?" Teal asked

     "The typical scars are for the dragon form, they don't show on the human form." He turned to the shaman "will this show on both forms?"

    "Yes it will," he answered "I can't tell you how it will translate but it will show on both forms."

     "I want it to show always that I am yours, so I want this tattoo as well."

    "Who's" Nyala raised an eyebrow at him.

    He smirked "both of yours, don't you agree or are you just hers?"

    Nyala smiled "okay, yeah..." she grabbed Xerus's hand "me too please."

     Teal relaxed as the Shaman put the tools down "finished... your mark is done."

He wiped the skin down and treated it. "It will be tender for a while" he sat back and took a deep breath "what do you think?"

     "It's gorgeous," Teal admired "I love it"

    "Xerus is next" Nyala shoved him towards the chair.

     "Stalling dear" Xerus laughed

    Nyala stuck her tongue out at him.

Teal moved over to the nest and curled up to catch some extra sleep while the Shaman worked on Xerus and Nyala.

"The former government is being difficult" Nyala eyed Teal to make sure she was completely asleep "what are we going to do?"

"Can I vote for eat someone," he laughed "the rest will knock it off real fast."

"The hardest path is one that makes you see your enemy for what they are..." the Shaman interjected "I doubt that means food."

"The bitchier the tastier." Xerus laughed "besides, we know why they are doing it."

    "They think we are beasts and nothing more," Nyala rolled her eyes "they see us as beneath them."

"Well, can I hire you to take care of a few tasty issues my people are having?" He smirked "they see us in very much the same way."

Nyala sighed "I can scare anyone straight without needing to eating anybody..." she smirked "sad that the only thing terrifying about you Xerus is your dietary habits."

    "Really, Nyala..." he smirked "how is that working for you so far with this war?"

The shaman burst out laughing "you two are hilarious," he smiled "intriguing and hilarious," he nodded "I believe our people will get along great."