Chapter 25: For You

"DO YOU HAVE A PLACE TO GO?" Indie asked him, once she got back to the Solstice Mansion. Reaper was standing on the windowsill, his white Church cape flying with the wind with his silver soft-looking hair.

"Does it matter?" Reaper asked back. "I'm always on nightly duties and I have other duties to finish."

'I wonder what else he has to manage? The author never specified since he was always the background character.'

"You and your henchmen don't really sleep? Are you night hooters or something-?" Indie asked, tilting her head.

"...Why would you care? I never slept a day in my life before."

'Ah... he must superhuman that's why... tch Author, it's not fair.'

"Reminds me... you still have one more day in your clock- better prove yourself to be useful tomorrow. Or else-" He studies her, squinting his eyes at her and said: "I will have no trouble getting rid of you with your family."

"...don't forget the alcohol tomorrow." She casually responded to his pathetic death threats. She went and tried tucking herself in the blanket of her bed. Yawning, she looked at Reaper, who was staring at her. 

"What? Want to sleep in here with me or something? Like the couch-" She said to which he despondently with a deadpan face said: "No." 

'God, he didn't have to look so disgusted...' Indie sneered inside her mind but continued to give him a twitching smile. 

"I'll be leaving then," He said, putting on his mask that covered his except for his red eyes. "Back tomorrow morning to check on you, again." 

"...well, please never come back..." she whispered faintly as he disappeared. She jumped out of the bed and sealed her windows tightly, and squealed as loud as possible. Ranting out all the complaints in the world. 

***
***

"TWELVE DEAD BODIES WERE FOUND UNDER THE ICY LAKE." Her brother announced next morning as he runs up to Indie and squeezed her tightly. "You could have been one of them." 

"W-w-what?" Indie asked confusedly. Murders? In the Capital? But who could have the audicity to murder twelve people under the watch of the Church?! Reaper? 

"The nobles and the Clergy were outrageous!" Lord Solstice said. 

"Who were the victims?" Indie asked. 

"Four of them were women, and the other three were men along with five children. They were noblemen and merchants who had journeyed here a couple of years ago. One of them was the son of a Count." 

'Not just women or innocent men but children too?' 

Indie cupped her hand over her mouth. 'Sh*t. Did HE do this?' Her mind could only wander of Reaper. H-how could he? 

"Our lives might be in danger, Indie." Lord Solstice shook her shoulders. "D-don't worry, I'll talk to the Marquess Julius about this matter and he'll surely find a way to keep us safe!" 

"T-then what should we do?" Indie asked faintly. 

"It must be the wicked Patrician parties doing! They must be among us-!" Lord Solstice rubbed his hair. 

'Reaper.' Indie clenched her fists. 'It it wasn't enough to kill twelve poor nobles- they had to bury the body underneath an icy lake.' 

"Well, I'll go to the Church." Indie said, taking a huge breath. "I'll stay there for the night to remain safe. I might have do overtime this time."