Afraid of the Dark

Ritual: Alright, I set you up in my phone by a code name. Talk in our code if you message me while I'm gone. And don't let anyone see your phone. 7:47 PM

Gunnar: Alright, got it. How are you doing by the way? 7:47 PM

Gunnar smiles softly to himself as he receives the woman's message, leaning against the black crate. He taps the side of the small black burner phone, waiting.

Ritual: Sore. Ears blown out. Tired of helicopters. I want to go home. 7:48 PM

Ritual: How are you all doing on food? 7:49 PM

Gunnar: Great. You might have to let Beau be in charge more often. 7:50 PM

Ritual: Not a chance. How are the others? 7:51 PM

Gunnar: Doing well, just bored. You can only play cards so much lol 7:51 PM

Ritual: Go outside or something lmao you'll figure it out 7:52 PM

Gunnar: Honestly not a bad plan 7:52 PM

Gunnar laughs softly as he sits on the cold floor, picturing the two of them building a snowman together. He imagines putting his goggles on it as Ritual jams the sticks in its side, watching as she draws three rings on the middle ball. The smallest dot makes the target, and she giggles slightly as she looks up at Gunnar with snow lining the frame of her goggles. The two draw their guns and shoot at the snowman until the top tips over, laughing as they playfully argue about who caused it and which of them 'won'. He can't help but smile at the thought of his lips on hers to silence her as the snow dances around them.

Gunnar: I really miss having you around. It's not the same without you 7:52 PM

He nervously admits, checking the time. His finger resumes tapping as he awaits her answer. He gets nervous when he notices she hasn't responded as quickly as she usually does.

Gunnar: Kámá? 7:58 PM

Ritual: Ritual to Sacrifice, active shooters on base. Locking down the area until the attackers are located. Numbers unknown, flying blind. I will return. 8:04 PM

A lump forms in his chest. Hearing the words 'blind and 'flight' together made his blood run cold. Active shooters? Did she have access to guns, would anyone be prepared? Who were they attacking? His mind races. He wanted to be there to protect her, and it tore him apart. He knows that all he can do is play it cool to respond to her.

Gunnar: Sacrifice, copy. Good luck. 8:05 PM

Sitting there with his phone in his lap, waiting for the three dots to appear, he listens to the chatter of the men in the next room to ease his troubled mind.

"Gunnar."

"Huh?" The man looks around the red landscape for her voice. The sand took the hue of the deep blue sky, still littered with the air of the day's battle. "Kámá, where are you?" Gunnar looks around, unable to follow the sound of her voice. He hadn't noticed the small military camp around him until now. Was it there before? He gently brushes his hand against each of the doors, none of them budging. He gets to the final one in the row, seeing that it is already open. A fine red mist seeps through the crack, brushing over his black boots. "Kámá?"

"Come. Look." She whispers to him, taking his hand and bringing him to the table. He examines her dark figure carefully. He squints, but the blur around her doesn't go away. He quickly realizes he is staring through her--At a lone cherry-stained chair. She leads him to sit as her hand brushes his.