Till It's Over

The sun filters light and warmth through sheer curtains onto the back of a resting man, gently waking him from his long sleep. With a stretch and a wipe of his glossy eyes, he sits forward and clutches the red blanket pooled in his lap. He draws his legs over the edge of the bed and feels for his movement aid, placing a large cap resembling a halo on his head and reaching for his nearly opaque glasses.

"Kámá!" He calls, peeking out from his bedroom. The hallway was cold, yet a warm, delicious scent wafted through the house. He knew the way to the stairs, grasping the railing and following the smell of syrniki and buterbrody. "Kámá?"

"Right here, little brother!" The woman, wearing a pair of denim shorts and a tank top with her hair clipped up messily to one side, replies in Russian. She is swift to greet him and take his hands. He smiles warmly, letting her lead him to the dining table and taking a seat before his plate. "I'm making your favorite."

"Have you slept?" He asks softly, listening to the familiar crackle of bacon on a frying pan. The woman hesitates a moment, turning over the eggs.

"Yes..." She says, feeling as though she was lying even though it was true. "Yes. I slept alright." She nods and turns the eggs, cooked into a rose shape and still soft on top, onto a thick slice of sourdough bread. She tops it with bacon that was only slightly crunchy, and the syrniki pancakes next to her, with sour cream and a drizzle of honey. "Don't worry about me. You should eat up."

"You know I will." The man chuckles, hearing the serving plates hit the table and excitedly grasping his fork. "I missed having you around to cook, sis."

"Not as much as I missed you, Arkady." Ritual smiles softly and sits across from him, brushing his hand affectionately. "Do you want to hear the news?" She asks. The man nods and she turns on the television just around the corner, listening idly as they enjoy their breakfast.

The voice fades as Ritual sees a sliver of light from her phone, face down on the table, flash in a way she hadn't seen in a long time. Resisting the urge to clutch the pit in her stomach, she grasps the cased edges and turns it over as she walks out of the kitchen, answering the video call.

"Rasêmûse..."

"Six?" She nearly whispers as her eyes land on his face. She had never heard the man sound startled.

"Oscar escaped." He warns, with little introduction to brave the blow. Ritual's eyes widen, a shaky breath escaping her as she feels for the wall behind her, feeling an overwhelming dread that nearly brought her to her knees. "His real name is Garrson Cross. We've tailed him all the way to Russia... I believe he's trying to finish what he started."

"How much time do I have?" The woman glances to the kitchen, making sure her brother couldn't hear.

"Hours... Maybe a day if they're preparing something big." Harry replies, a deep fear lining his stern tone. "Rainbow is very spread out. I don't know what you could manage, but I am giving you complete clearance of the following operation and priority over all local authorities. Call anyone you need to shut this down, quickly."

Ritual pauses for a moment, looking at the time on her phone. She parts her lips to speak before tenderly brushing her engagement ring with her thumb. Harry furrows his brows. He knew the look in her eyes.

"Anyone?" She asks finally and looks into the man's eyes through the phone. He hesitates for a moment.

"Anyone." He affirms, nodding slightly before signing off. "This is your chance, Kámámê."

"Arkady, I need to go." The woman springs into action, rushing upstairs to find the equipment she'd long buried. She drags the crate forward and rips the top open, pulling out her black uniform and beaten helmet. Zipping her tight bodysuit and throwing her Gorka 4 overtop, she then layers her vest, padding, and laces up her heavy boots. She opens a locked safe and examines her scuffed Makarov for only a second before pushing it into her thigh holster.