Empty

"You did great out there. Let's get our MIA home."

Ritual holds tightly onto the wire, content as the wind whistles through her helmet vents. She looks down at the teal Extraction Pod under her feet, currently containing Tachanka, in stasis after a beating. She can see the Pioneer beneath it as they descend. Swiftly, she unlatches the cords that suspend the pod and slides down from it, opening it to see the man coated in foam lying eerily still.

"Head to decon', Shuhrat, and I'll catch up with you later. I've got him." She assures softly, more for her own sake. She lifts his arm over her head and easily carries the heavy man through the large doors and into the medical bay. Handing him off hesitantly, she sits outside the doors and patiently waits.

"Your work out there today is going to help tremendously with our future containment efforts, Kámámê." Thermite welcomes her return, gracing the room with a certain calmness. "Knowing how Archæans work... It's the first step to stopping them."

"I'm glad to be of service." She nods softly, her worried eyes meeting the man's, whose gentle expression soothes her.

"Operators in stasis usually turn up just fine after some rest." Thermite nudges her, giving her a friendly smile. "Once he regains consciousness, we'll let him know who brought him home."

"They're probably gonna be stripping that foam from him for a while, huh?" Ritual banters, a tiny chuckle escaping her nervous demeanor. He nods understandingly.

"Most likely, which is why you shouldn't wait here." His tone suddenly shifts, as he goes from leaning to standing with his arms crossed.

"I don't mind waiting, I want to make sure-"

"No no, it's not that." He shushes the woman, offering his hand. "You need to see this." He says firmly. Ritual slowly extends her hand, taking his and rising to her feet. She follows him to the briefing room, seeing a dark figure talking to Ash. Her eyes trace them curiously, and the conversation becomes clear as they approach.

"You seriously want to do this?" The woman sets down the folder she's holding, looking deeply into the person. "Sure, this might invalidate her assignment, but that means it could uproot yours, too." She reasons. "Do you really want to take that risk?'

"I've already put my life on the line for her more times than I could count... For her, I have to. I don't want to lose her again." The voice slices through her helmet. She takes a step back for just a moment, but Thermite turns and catches her wrist. His face is stern, but his eyes are sympathetic. She relaxes after a moment, nodding in understanding and continuing to walk with him.

"Kámámê, I'm glad you're back. That was amazing work out there." Ash greets as the man turns around, lifting his visor to lay his eyes on her. His deep brown eyes are softened as they meet hers, but she turns away. "Your partner reached out to me-"

"I-I'm not feeling well." Ritual chokes out, stepping back a little. Ash looks at Thermite for a moment, the two exchanging a knowing glance.

"It's okay, you've... Had a long day." She says slowly. "You deserve some rest. Jordan, can you escort her? Gunner and I need to talk more, privately."

"You got it." He nods, placing a hand on Ritual's shoulder and turning her away. Once they are out of earshot, he takes a cautious breath. "Something happen?"

"You could say that." Ritual shakes her head, approaching her door and swinging it open. "It's funny, I've... I've taken lives, survived bombs, been through hell on Earth... And yet, I can't talk to a man." She scoffs to herself in shame. Thermite only listens, giving her an understanding look before closing her door, locking all of her troubles on the other side.