Reunion

"Welcome to REACT, Kámámê." Eliza extends her hand, a small smile painted on her face.

"I'm happy to volunteer." Ritual smiles back, firmly shaking her hand. Several staff members brush past them, making her look over her shoulders nervously. "Which, that actually reminds me..."

"What's the matter?" Ash's expression shifts.

"I just...I need you to know that I'm not doing this for my reputation with the team." Ritual says genuinely, yet the bitter aftertaste floods her mouth. "I'm doing this because I want to help."

'Why am I sorry?' She hisses in her own head. 'Why do I have to apologize?'

"It's okay, Ritual." Ash assures, recapturing her attention. "You don't have to explain yourself to me. I'm glad you're here."

"Hey, Ritual!" A smooth voice greets her before she can say another word. The two turn to see Thermite walking up to them, bandaged hands extended friendlily. "You made it in one piece!"

"I think so." She banters, shaking his hand as well. She knew she was lying to herself. Taking a deep breath, she stands straight and looks between the two.

"Let's keep it that way. Come with me." He gestures, waving slightly to Ash before walking alongside the shorter woman into a bustling white room. They weave through busy staff and research teams, teeming like ants.

A flash of yellow catches her eye, to which she turns and spots Lion speaking with a few staff members. He stops for a moment and waves happily, making her bounce a little.

"Alright," Thermite starts as she follows him into a smaller room with a long table in the middle. She takes a seat in a chair, watching the man circle the table and rest his hands on top of the papers scattered everywhere. "Eliza wants to put you right into the hot zone--Well, cold zone actually. You'd be coming with me to Alaska." He smiles slightly before resuming his relaxed posture, crossing his arms.

"We know that you know how to stand the cold better than anyone else..." Ash opines, "Maybe even better than the Parasite."

"My only concern before we take you out there is your 'ability'. You don't come with a gadget, but you do come with a fierce set of hands." Thermite continues. "What do you think you can do for the team?" He asks, leaning over the table and looking into her eyes.

"Well, what is taking a hostage really about, Jordan?" She laces her fingers together, resting her hands on the table and leaning towards him in return. She always spoke with such weight, and she could tell he seemed slightly stricken.

"It's... About diversion." She watches the gears turn in his mind, slightly amused. "You make the enemy hesitate. You draw fire away."

"Exactly." Ritual stands. "These last few meetings, Mira and I have had a chance to tinker. I feared the Archaeans would struggle too much or be too strong, and unlike humans, they're no use dead. We thought that maybe there's something I could do to coax them, like a certain scent..." She hums, scrambling some of the papers on the table in search of one.

"We decided a sort of lure would be best--Something arm-mounted that would release a gas while I have an Archaean pinned, lulling them into a state where they are pliable, unlike our paralysis grenades, but not so much that they are limp and unconvincing."

"Do you think they're that stupid?" Thermite chuckles to himself, crossing his arms.

"Only one way to find out, da?" She jests. "Archæans don't really have a sense of preservation unless it comes to Elites. Because of their sheer force in numbers, they don't care about hurting each other, but they follow and protect the most valuable asset. Being able to take a high-value Archæan as a shield would be huge if it lures them away from objectives, or even better yet, if it tricks them into thinking I am one."

"Kámámê?" Ash breaks her thought.

"Eliza, what's the matter?" Thermite looks up at her. She uncrosses her arms, pacing around the two.

"Do you think that'll work?" She stops, turning to look Ritual in the eye. There's hope in her gaze. "That they'll hesitate?"

"All I can do is try." Ritual assures. "Should I discuss it with Mira?"

"No need." The woman suddenly speaks up from the doorway, entering the room. "If you could prove that the Archæans hold a higher sense of value towards their leaders than just obedience, that could be revolutionary in our research." She beams slightly. "Or, if you're actually strong enough to hold one down..."

"Sounds like we all wanna test it," Thermite shrugs, looking at the group of women. "Should we get her out there?"

"I think that's a great idea." Mira nods, looking at Ash for confirmation.

"Let's kit you up for an incursion. A small one, for starters." She affirms, patting Ritual's shoulder. "This frilly gear won't do."

"Frilly?" Ritual huffs.

She is shown to where she'll be staying on the Pioneer, her crates stacked neatly on the floor next to her small bed, the rest of the room mostly empty. It was tiny, but somehow cozy, reminiscent of a hotel room. Removing her helmet, she tosses it onto the bed and takes in the scent of sea salt. It wasn't pleasant, but it was nicer than other ships she'd been on.

She turns around and locks the door before popping the tabs of the top crate, reaching in and revealing a plastic-like uniform that mimicked her standard fatigues. Throwing off her heavy coat and the clothing underneath, she replaces them with a sweat-wicking bodysuit, then slipping the squeaky pants over it and tightening the suspenders. Her boots jingle as she removes them from the crate, zipping them up with a small sigh and taking care in taping the edges to avoid contamination. Coming on over her head, she layers her top, a low profile vest, and a SMERSH. It was light, empty, which was a strange feeling.

The next crate contained her heavy duty weapons. She first lifts a Vityaz rifle from the crate, checking the safety out of habit and extending the stock before laying it on the bed. It was her favorite, though not like the one she kept back home, its full metal body kept pristine. She notices a small charm clipped to the front. It made her smile.

She reaches down and pulls out a black sling, rigging it to the gun and looping it around her neck. Several long black magazines rested neatly in the crate, to which she removes them and slots each one of them into its place on her kit. The next item inside is her classic pistol, battered from plenty of battles. Beside it is its suppressor, which she threads before sliding it rightfully into her thigh holster. She looks back at the Vityaz tenderly before closing the lid of the crate. This kit was fine for now.

"Kámámê?" A familiar voice is paired with a knock on the door. She quickly springs from her seat on the bed to answer it, opening it to see--

"Shuhrat?" She greets, surprised. A larger man shifts out from behind him, revealing himself. "Holy hell, Alexsandr?"

"Kámámê," Tachanka's gruff, booming voice greets as he swallows her in a bear hug, lifting her from the ground and squeezing her against his firm chest. "It's been too long!"

"You're gonna break my ribs-" She wheezes in Russian, unable to hug back. She laughs slightly while regaining her breath once her feet meet the floor again. Fuze was stiff, as usual, so she opens her arms to him. She was one person he didn't mind hugging, which made her feel honored. "Great to see you, Shuhrat." She says softly as she pulls away from the small hug. "You too, Alex."

"You're coming with us for training, Elena says." Tachanka announces, nodding his head under that giant helmet and playfully grasping her shoulder. "Spetsnaz family reunion!"

"Missing one or two." She chuckles and punches the large man's shoulder with a quick whistle. "Let's get to it then, boys."