Chapter 7

The rest of the day was spent doing house chores. After Selena cleared it with her father that it was fine with him to have Jason and Dakota stay over, Selena made it her mission to clean up the tiny home she and her father lived in.

Her father hadn’t initially understood why she wanted Jason and his girlfriend sleeping over for the weekend, but Selena managed to convince him that she was trying to get to know Dakota for Jase’s sake. After the weekend passed, she didn’t know how she going to explain them staying over for a few extra days.                                                                                                                                     

Many a time, Selena thought about moving out and living her life like the rest of the twenty-two-year olds did. But her father was all she had, and she couldn’t leave him alone. Her mother wouldn’t have been happy about that. Selena lifted the feather duster to her mother’s framed photo that sat on the mantel piece in the lounge.                                                                                                 

She traced her finger over the spiral tattoo her mother hand on her right shoulder. Selena vaguely remembered tracing her finger over that tattoo many times when she was in her mother’s arms. She sighed and resumed cleaning the rest of the room. She paused as she picked up the throw that had been used to shield her body earlier.                                                                                                                      

Her hand flew to the rough skin on her neck and she moaned at the slight throb. It wasn’t painful, no, somehow, she knew that her skin yearned for Arden’s mouth on her skin. How fucking bizarre was that?

Selena shook her head rapidly, fearing that the more she thought about Arden, the higher the chance he had of appearing before her. And she couldn’t deal with that at all. She picked up the feather duster in her hand again and moved to the kitchen as she pondered about Dakota.                                                                                                                         

She seemed much younger than Jason and if her wolf hadn’t sensed him out as her mate, they probably would have never worked as a couple. Dakota was the free spirited, wild, exceptionally beautiful woman that only dressed up in branded clothing. Jase on the other hand was the typical geek, with a cupboard full of checked shirts and brightly coloured t-shirts with weird quotes printed on them. In another world where werewolves didn’t exist, they would have never even been seen in the same social circle.                               

Selena was about to shift a stool to the kitchen cupboards and stand on it to dust off the top of the cupboards that she knew was collecting all the dust in the world – when the doorbell rang. “I’m coming” She yelled and jogged over to the front door. She peeked through the eyehole of the door that Ethan had thankfully replaced and barely stopped herself from rolling her eyes.

On the other side of the door was Clayton, grinning back at her like an idiot. She huffed and then opened the door. “Hello, princess. Ugh, thought you’d be naked” He scoffed and sauntered inside, plonking himself on her couch.                                                                              “What, did Ethan tell you about that?”. “Yeah. Damn, I wish I’d been here. It’s only fair, since you got to see me naked”.        

She rolled her eyes and looked back outside at where Jason and Dakota were walking side by side, two heavily loaded duffel bags in Jason’s hands. Dakota placed a kiss on Selena’s cheek and walked inside. She looked to Jason as if to ask what that was all about, but he just shrugged. Selena closed the front door and took another look at their duffel bags.                                                                             

“Uhm…I told my father, you two would only be staying the weekend…”.                  “Why? I thought you guys would be staying longer” Clayton asked Jason and Dakota, one eyebrow hiked up in questioning. “I’ll figure something out. Maybe then, Dakota can just stay so it won’t be so weird” Selena said and Dakota hurriedly nodded her head. She looked excited and Selena couldn’t help but smile.