Chapter 12

Selena squeezed her eyes tightly together as another surge of agony attacked her body. By now, everything was aching. From her head to her ribs, her shoulders to her fingertips, her hips to her shaky knees. But the most unbearably pain was that of her heart. It felt as though a butcher was carving the chambers of her heart apart. And if all of that wasn’t enough, her eyesight was still gone and her ears were echoing. Her cheeks had become damp with the constant flow of rivulets down her skin.

She felt a firm hand run up her back and somehow, she knew that it was Cole. She was strangely able to make out his scent. He smelt like the sea mixed with…coconuts. “I’m so sorry” He whispered against the shell of her ear. Selena formed a response in her head, but when she opened her mouth all she could let out was another moan. “This is my fault, I’m so sorry”. Selena felt like hugging Cole. He sounded genuinely hurt and apologetic for what was transpiring.

Selena shrieked as her body burned with agony. “Get. Sean”. She felt Cole stiffen beside her before she heard Arden’s warning growl. Somehow, she knew that the sound that emitted from Arden was not only a warning growl, it was a pained growl. Which could only have meant that he too was in pain. A victorious sigh escaped her lips before another strong dose of misery swam through her.

Arden panted as he felt every measure of torture slip through the mate bond and even into the pack link. Clayton, Jason and Trey had already begun feeling the effects of Selena’s change. He knew that soon, they would all be experiencing it as well. Dakota wrapped her arms around Jason and walked with him further away from Selena. “Arden, stop playing games. Take control of the situation and stop her from shifting this instant!”.

Arden growled at Dominic’s order and he raised a challenging eyebrow at the pack elder. Arden looked back at Selena, who was now dry heaving into the soil, her one hand clutching at her chest, the other buried deep into the ground. He watched as Cole held her hair up for her, and the concern he had for her in his eyes was enough for Arden to storm over to them. He rammed into Cole, tossing him to the side and pulled Selena to stand on her feet. She groaned when his grip on her arms was too strong and he immediately apologised and rubbed at her skin. “Look at me”.

Selena wanted to tell him to fuck off and let him know that she was still unable to see nothing. But the promise of easing her anguish in his voice made her pay attention. She opened her eyes and felt his hands on her face, adjusting her head slightly. She felt Arden run his arms slowly up her arms and she gasped in surprise.

The pain was slowly easing out. With a possessive growl, his left hand travelled to gently cup her ass – something at the back of her mind telling her that that particular move was completely unnecessary – while his right hand landed on her chest. His face nestled against his mark. “Breathe in deeply” He guided and she willingly followed. Selena drew in a breath and was elated when she felt her lungs were no longer restrained. The heaviness she had felt in her chest was no longer there, no longer troubling her.

Arden moved his right hand to her face, where he tucked his thumb beneath her chin and slipped his fingers through her soft hair. He pressed his lips against hers in a peck of a kiss. Selena leaned slightly forward, expecting another and was disappointed when she didn’t feel his lips ghost over hers again. “If you want more, I’m going to have to hear you ask for it”. Selena caught herself before she let temptation take over. She bit her lip and swallowed thickly. Arden exhaled heavily, but continued his healing process until he felt all the distress disappear from his mate.

Selena unwillingly slumped forward against Arden’s chest as the energy deserted her body. She no longer had the strength to argue or have Arden tease her for taking comfort in his arms. She willed him not to mock her and hoped that for once she could use the mate bond to her advantage. Arden sighed and then hushed the concerns throttling around in her head.