Chapter 14

The next day, Selena made sure that she was ready for training with Ethan before five in the morning. After she spent the previous day training, her body felt a bit of the strain. Granted, she wasn’t the most fit human being. Don’t get her wrong, she wanted to look after herself and her body, but if she could find any ridiculous reason to not work out, she would.

And look where that got her. A couple of aches and strained muscles. Her eyes strayed over to where the cars were parked out front as she made her way around the back of the house. Arden was slipping his jacket on while he continued to walk towards the forest beside his house. He paused when he saw her and they stared for a few minutes until Arden broke the contest and walked away.

She hadn’t seen him since the blinding – partial transformation that was forced upon her and she hoped he was avoiding her because he felt guilty. Selena giggled out loud at her own stupidity. Of course, that would never happen! Arden didn’t think he did anything wrong and somehow, she had a feeling he rarely felt responsible for anything. Well, among other emotions that had coursed through her last night, disgust was quick to top that list and she prayed that through the sick mate bond they shared, he felt it too.

After all that had happened, Selena was more than happy to see less of Arden and decided to not step anywhere near his room. Dakota was kind enough to spare Selena some extra blankets so that she could set herself up on the humongous couch in the living room her body had taken a liking to. Clayton and Trey had both offered her their beds, but she knew that if she accepted a night of blissful sleep on a luxurious bed belonging to another wolf, she was probable to instigate world war three between an Alpha and his wolves. 

Ethan stifled back a laugh when he’s eyes caught onto Selena’s contorted face when he told her to do a few stretches. “We took it easy yesterday, I hope you know that”. Selena rolled her eyes at him before answering. “The pain isn’t as bad as it looks”. “Really? Then I suppose you wouldn’t mind this” He said and before Selena could anticipate his actions, Ethan had gripped both her ankles and flipped her off her feet, letting her back hit the lawn with a harsh thud.

A soundless cry left her lips as Selena tried to get back up. “What did I tell you about being alert yesterday?”. “Damnit Ethan! I wasn’t ready!”. “Is that what you’re planning on telling your attacker?” He asked and held out his hand for Selena to grab. “Who knows? I might win him over with my humour”. Ethan chuckled out loud and then his face went stoic. “Enough messing around, we’ve got work to do”.

After finding out the truth about herself, Selena never thought there would ever come a time when she wished she could transform into her wolf. Until now, that is. To say that Ethan was the most relentless trainer she had ever witnessed would be an understatement. The guy lost his mind whenever she would reduce her pace with the sets of exercise she was expected to do.

He gave her no time to rest and when she opened her mouth to remind him, she was only human, her parched throat swallowed up her words, by just looking at the disappointed expression on his face. By now the stickiness of sweat was plastering her clothes against her skin, causing her level of irritation to rise. What irked her further was that Cole and Clayton had made their way over to spectate, making comments and jokes about her and the wrong way she was training.

When Ethan didn’t pay any attention to the time out sign she was signalling with her hands, an inhumane growl slipped past her lips and she ferociously glared up at Ethan, who was now standing over her, shouting words of encouragement to do better. “I fucking told you I want a time out!”. Selena’s outburst shocked Ethan more than she thought was possibly. He looked taken aback as he slowly nodded and offered her his hand.