Chapter 16

Selena stomped out of Cole’s room, hurriedly making her way to Arden’s to grab her phone and she thundered through the house until she made it to the front lawn. She plonked her ass down on the benches in front of the windows and dialled Ashley’s number. She needed to talk to someone and she thought that Jason would be that someone, but he was currently exploring the depths of Dakota’s throat in their bedroom – as she had seen when she walked past the open room door.

She sighed heavily as she waited for Ashley to answer. “Finally, you decide to call, huh?”. “I know, I’m so sorry, I meant to…It’s just been a bit crazy this side”. “Yeah? And where exactly is this side? Uncle Rom said you moved out?”. Selena dragged a hand over her face. “Yeah…actually, could you pick me up? It would be a lot easier to explain this face to face”. The line went silent until Ashley sighed. “Fine, I’ll pick you up, just send me the address”.

When Ashley made it up to the driveway leading to the house, Selena was already waiting for her. After she ended the call with Ashley, she sought out Trey – who was taking his turn at patrolling the perimeter with a couple of lower ranked wolves she didn’t know – and told him where she was going to and with who. Of course, she had to answer his millions of questions about why she was going and how long she was going to be. If it was really necessary for her to leave and does she know what would happen when Arden found out. If Ashley was trustworthy and if she was single. And if Selena thought Ashley was his type – to which she answered, “Every girl is your type”.

Selena and Ashley were seated at their favourite local coffee shop sipping on their usual’s; a coconut milk latte for Selena and a pumpkin spiced cappuccino for Ashley – while Selena told her about everything that has transpired over the few days. To say that Ashley was stunned to hear about the existence of wolves was an understatement.

“Ash? You need sometime to digest all the news or…”. “I don’t know what’s more shocking. Finding out about the existence of wolves or finding out my girl is one of them?” She said, bugged eyed while Selena smiled sympathetically at her. “Well, technically I’m half, since my father was human”. “You’re still…beastly. God, how did Jason take this news? Or didn’t you tell him yet?”. Selena gulped down some more of her latte and waited for Ashley to figure it out.

“What Selena? Did Jason flip out?”. Thinking that Ashley was probably never going to figure it out, she decided to just tell her. “Uh…No…he’s actually one too”. “What?!” She yelled and a few faces turned to look at her. She glared at the people until they looked away and she turned back to Selena. “How? When?”. Selena took another deep breath in before she began explaining to Ashley what happened the night of the camp.

“God and here I thought he was gay. Honestly? He would have been better off if he was” She commented and flagged down a waiter to order flapjacks. Something she only ever ordered if she were stressed out. “So, explain to me how you managed to not know about being a wolf all these years”.

“The pack doctor – Lara – said that because I’m only half wolf, the other side of me would be dormant for a long time. I guess that’s basically why my baser nature was hidden for so long – until I met Arden”. “Arden?”. “My mate. He’s a godly built Alpha that loves playing games” Selena breathed out with a sigh. Ashley wriggled her eyebrows suggestively.

Godly built, huh? Say, you wouldn’t be attracted to said Alpha”. Selena groaned out loud and buried her face into the palm of her hands. “I am, I think, kind of, it’s actually hard to explain”. “No, it’s not! Selena, girl, you’ve been putting off sex with the male species for years. Now you have this guy that only wants you. He’s a wolf, so he mates for life, right? It’s practically an unofficial marriage!” She squealed like an excited kid in a candy aisle.

“It’s a bit more complicated than that – although there is a whole mating ceremony thing – but I cannot just give him what he wants. Besides he knew we were mates before I was a wolf and he didn’t want me. Now that I’m a wolf in transition with Alpha blood – I’m suddenly quite appealing to him”.

“You make it sound so awful”. “That’s because it is!”. Ashley set aside her cappuccino and grabbed Selena’s hands. “Sel, he’s a wolf, not to mention an Alpha. Accepting you as his was probably a very hard to decision to make. He’s got the wellbeing and safety of his pack hanging over his head”. Selena frowned at her friend.

“Why are you taking his side?”. “I’m not taking sides. I’m simply telling you that perhaps there is more to the story here. Have the two of you ever talked about this?”. “No, because he’s…”. “No Selena. Don’t dust the blame onto his shelf. You know how stubborn and impulsive you are when it comes to making decisions. Sit him down on the couch when you get home and talk to the guy”.

Selena sat back in her seat. She knew Ashley was right. She was stubborn and spiteful and very impulsive. She needed to sit with Arden and talk to him. If she was to be his mate, she needed him to understand her and they needed to manage their communication methods. Playing games and doing things to spite each other was of no benefit to anyone – except maybe the rest of the pack as they had their days filled with entertainment.

Selena watched as Ashley’s flapjacks arrived to their table and then sighed heavily, cracking her neck to the side. When she turned her neck to the other side, she noticed a familiar person staring at her from across the road. She squinted her eyes and then widened them in realisation. “Hey Ash? I’ve gotta go, I’ll message you later”. “Yeah, sure, whatever, run along to your handsome wolf mate” She teased while Selena hugged her.