Chapter 23

Isen's POV

Annabeth and I hurried to the Big House. Well, I jogged, Annabeth was practically sprinting. As soon as I'd suggested that Rosie might be the event triggering the trogs' panic, Annabeth had sat me down and made me go through exactly when we had arrived, before checking it with Will and Nico's story. It all fit, and it was very suspicious and likely something we should be worried about, but I had to admit I didn't see how running would help us solve this any faster.

'Wait, Annabeth!' I yelled to the blonde-haired girl who was tearing through the Camp faster than I'd ever seen anyone run. She ignored me. I sighed and ran after her.

By the time I got to the Big House, I was panting heavily, my legs were burning, and Annabeth stood above me, arms crossed, as I rasped, "Why are you so fast? We didn't need to run!"

Annabeth smirked and said, "You needed the exercise."

My expression must have been priceless because she burst out laughing. I feigned a look of hurt, and Annabeth rolled her eyes, dragging me into the Big House.

"Chiron, are you here?" Annabeth called, gently pushing the slightly ajar door open with her fingertips. 

Chiron was sitting in his wheelchair, stress evident on his face, and seemed to have been talking to another man who was sprawled in an armchair, a glass of Coke in his hand. This other man was black-haired, so black it almost looked purple, and despite the ridiculous Hawaiian shirt, I wanted to curl into a ball when he glared at me, glowing purple eyes staring into my soul.

I hid behind Annabeth and hissed, "Who is that and please can you ask him not to kill me?"

Chiron's face softened a little when he saw Annabeth, but still said, "I'm a little busy right now Annabeth, can you come back later?"

"Chiron, this is important," she pleaded.

"Oh, go ahead," the purple-haired guy cut in, his Coke having disappeared into thin air. "We'll allow these demigods to interrupt our important conversation so you can solve their problems. In fact, don't bother introducing me first."

Chiron sighed as he said, "Isen, this is Dionysus, he used to be the Camp Director, and still visits from time to time. Dionysus, this is Isen, one of the guests I mentioned, and please don't kill him."

I was really not reassured by this introduction, and I was 'one of the guests he mentioned'? Why would Chiron be talking about me to this Dionysus person? Come to think of it, the name rings a bell somewhere, but I can't pinpoint where I've heard it. I decided I didn't like him, whoever he was.

"Yes, boy, I'm an Olympian, what of it?" Dionysus turned his gaze on me again, and I felt as if he was forcing his way into my brain, merely out of mild interest at what he might find there.

"Chiron," Annabeth said imploringly, looking at me worriedly.

"Yes, sorry Annabeth. Dionysus, please play nicely, I don't need someone going insane in my office, I'd much rather just get this over with," Chiron said, his voice completely monotone, giving me the chilling feeling he wouldn't mind that much if I did go insane.

I looked to Annabeth, wondering if we should just come back later, but she said firmly, "Isen and I wanted to ask you about why you think the trogs were so agitated, causing Will and Nico to come back. They mentioned an event of some sort which we think coincides with when Rosie entered camp. Also, the trogs said it had happened before and I wasn't sure if you knew about anything that might have happened recently."

Chiron's face was a mask of indifference; it was impossible to tell how much he knew. Having heard Annabeth speak so highly of him, I was having difficulty seeing this stone-faced Chiron as the friendly centaur who was like a second father to her.

"Look Annabeth, I don't think this topic is one you should be looking into, it's just not safe, especially at the moment. You would do well to drop the subject for good," Chiron said, only a glimmer of sympathy flashing across his face.

Annabeth looked shocked at being shut down, and I was outraged at Chiron's reply, so similar to Headmaster Vaughn's response weeks prior. It seemed like no-one wanted us to know anything!

"Look Chiron, I don't know what kind of grudge you hold against Rosie, or me and Blyke for that matter, but why can't you just explain what's going on?" I exploded, forgetting that I was standing in front of an immortal centaur and an Olympian, both of whom were fully capable of killing me on the spot.

Chiron looked ready to retaliate, but Dionysus interrupted again.

"Actually, why not tell them? They're just going to keep annoying us otherwise, and right now I don't have the energy to turn anyone into dolphins to shut them up."

The Olympian looked to Chiron as if to ask for permission to explain to us what was going on, though I doubted he cared what the centaur thought. Chiron clenched his jaw but didn't contradict Dionysus. The god turned to us, grinning, as he said, "This is going to be the most fun I've had in a long time." 

Hey guys, just wanted to thank you for the nice comments, you're all really sweet :) hope you enjoyed the chapter!