~Chapter 2~

|Loss|

|•|

As I began my trek towards the mountains, out of the corner of my eye to the right, easy to be missed by an unaware person, stood a crowd of figures as small as specks of dust. They stood looking over the terrain it seemed, though their intentions a mystery they still stood proud like they'd conquered the world.

I kept a steady pace as I slowly edged my way towards the figures who were getting ready to continue before they all raced forwards arms outstretched as if to grab something, or someone.

I kept my distance hiding behind  a piece of scrap metal observing the people who were helping their friend. It must be nice to have people looking out for you. They seemed to be struggling trying to figure out what was wrong until one of them lifted up his shirt.

The scratch marks were visible even from here, thick black veins pulsing from them as if dancing across the boys sickly pale skin; he's infected.

I turned back around, sitting on the ground bringing my knees up to my chest, as I did before, and resting my head on them. Even though I don't know these people, they must be as scared as I used to be. Losing a friend is terrible, especially when we're meant to be immune..

"L-Lara..." I turned around suddenly at the strained voice of Avery, she looked as pale as someone could get. Her usually neat blonde hair was rugged and thin, eyes bloodshot, mouth trembling with black stains trailing to her chin, she was no longer smiling. We'd been walking around for a while, the sands were endless and treacherous. We'd narrowly escaped a building only a few days prior but it seems like only yesterday we were running from the cranks.

"Come on we're almost there" I encouraged pointing to the broken City that was still miles away. We didn't really have a destination but we'd decided to go to the City to scout, see what we could find. Although along the way we encountered about fifteen cranks, one came at me from behind but Avery shielded me with her body, in the end she got bitten on her leg.

I went back, wrapping my arm around her waist for support, with her arm around my shoulder, and continued to walk shakily towards the City.

"Lara.." Avery grunted, limping slightly, a thin layer of sweat had gathered on her brows as her eyes seemed heavy. "Just leave me here"

Those words stung my heart, Avery was my best friend, no, my sister, I couldn't just leave her to turn into one of those things. "Stop. Stop, don't say that. Once we get to the City we'll find someone to help you" I sobbed holding in the tears that threatened to spill, the thought of losing her was unbearable. We'd been through so much together.