~Chapter 7~

|Fears and Feelings|

|•|

"BRENDA" Thomas yelled as the girl fell through a door, tumbling down onto a window that lay horizontal. We were now climbing up one of the fallen buildings, but due to its slant it showed to be a lot more difficult than we concluded.

"Brenda you ok?" I questioned from the stairs Brenda fell from, holding onto the railing for dear life so I didn't fall like she did. Thomas stood holding both sides of the door frame, also not wanting to fall.

"Yeah" she called back, groaning from the force of the fall. The drop underneath the girl made bile crawl into my throat, tightening it whilst my face paled and the life ending drop.

"Alright hang on, I'm going to find a way down" Thomas yelled at the girl who slowly started to shift causing a deafening crack to echo around the room.

"Wait what?" I stared at the boy in shock, he turned giving me a straight face and I almost missed the look of fear in his honey eyes. He was scared, yet that wasn't stopping him from helping. He was determined to save a girl he only just met whilst I stood dead in my spot, afraid that if I moved the whole building would collapse and cave in crushing us all. He really was a mystery.

"No Brenda don't move" he yelled once again, snapping me out of my thoughts. Thomas was halfway down the wall, grunting every time he dropped to another ledge. But Brenda didn't listen as she continued to get up, the glass seemingly on its last strength, about to break at any moment. "Come on grab my hand"

"Ahhh" I screamed as one of the cranks that followed us finally caught up, gripping my wrist trying to tug me up and over the railing. Thomas and Brenda both stopped what they were doing staring at my struggling self.

"Lara!" They yelled in unison as it tried to take a bit out of my arm. But I kicked it in the face before it has a chance, sending it hurdling down to where the two stood motionless.

"No no no NO!"

"BRENDA"

We both screamed at the short haired girl as the crank fell directly on top of her sending a loud shriek to echo across the walls. It was a miracle that the glass was still in once piece as she fumbled around trying desperately to keep at least five feet away from the monster.

My eyes scanned around me searching for anything of use, anything that wouldn't make me feel useless and unhelpful. My eyes landed frantically on a rock that lay just a few centimetres from the door frame, looking heavy enough to break the glass.

"Brenda" Thomas called out again reaching his hand out for the struggling girl to grab hold of.

"I can't reach" she yelled getting more and more tired from wrestling with the crank.

A loud shriek erupted from the creature before I saw its teeth sink into her skin. My mind stopped working as my heart skipped a beat, staring at the girl who would eventually die. I couldn't lose another friend, it would be too much in the span of only a few months. My hands grabbed the heavy piece of concrete as I situated myself on the wall to keep myself from falling.

"Guys grab each other already" I yelled as their hands finally caught one another. The concrete fell landing on top of the cranks head crushing it's lifeless body as it broke the glass sending it down to the derelict ruins. Brenda's body hung over the hole as Thomas steadily pulled her up to the frame work.