~Chapter 4~

|Saved|

|•|

"It's nice having another girl around" a voice from behind me spoke, I turned spotting the brown haired girl not too far from me, smiling.

We'd been walking since the sun rose, the mountains slowly but surely creeping closer with every step we took. Thomas had woken everyone up at the crack of dawn wanting to get to the mountains as soon as we could, his leadership qualities showing slightly as everyone followed his orders never questioning them.

"Yeah" I simply replied, not knowing life without the many girls in the maze so I couldn't relate to what Theresa had gone through. This girl just seemed off, ever since hearing her words towards Thomas, however many days ago, she seemed untrustworthy. I didn't want to risk spilling any of my past to the girl. So what better way to do that then to just avoid speaking to her, in the nicest possible way of course.

"You don't seem very fond of me" she stated with a small frown, I cursed myself in my mind for being so obvious, before showing her a small smile thinking up a lie that seemed convincing enough.

"No it's not that" I started, adjusting the cuff of the small fingerless gloves I had found a while back. "I've just been alone for quite sometime." I paused thinking up what to say. "All this" I said gesturing to the group ahead of us, "is different".

She nodded at my reply, thankfully believing my white lie.

The winds in the distance were picking up, a mist of sand looming in the air. It wouldn't reach us for a while, but a storm was brewing.

"So... What's it like being with this lot?" I asked diverting the attention from me.

"They're a handful, but we all support each other. And try to keep each other safe, even if it's not in everyone's best interests" she assured, adding more emphasis on the last part. "But Aris over there, he's only been with us a short while" I could tell she was holding in a secret, only giving a brief answer but I didn't really want to befriend the girl so I was fine with it.

After walking for a while longer we stopped for a rest, refilling our tired bodies and emptying the buckets of sand that had creeped into our boots.

"Hey Lara, right?" An Asian looking boy walked over to me. His hair was black and stuck up as if he'd used a whole bottle of gel to get it so straight, whilst he wore a blue jacket with a small backpack clipped over his front. This was probably the 'Minho' Newt told me about. I nodded in reply smiling as he sat down next to me. I took another sip of my water before he spoke again. "How long have you been in the scorch?"

"About two months, I'd say" I responded wary not to tell too much. I still don't know if I can trust them. "You?"

"Not long. We only escaped a few days ago" he muttered thinking about how long it had been. Truth be told you can lose track of time when your endlessly scouring in this scorching heat.