𝟷𝟽 - 𝙰 𝚏𝚛𝚒𝚎𝚗𝚍

Third Person POV𓅓

Third Person POV
𓅓

  She couldn't believe it.

  RJ sat in her tent, chewing on her nails as her brain worked in overdrive.
No matter how hard she tried to make it, the math just wouldn't add up.

  Rick had only been back a little over a week. Did he even know?

  Just when she felt like they could get past this, that Lori and Shane's affair could be left in the dirt at the chapel, a baby is thrown into the picture.

  "Knock knock." Dale's old voice sounded from outside the tent.

  RJ wasn't sure if she should acknowledge his presence, she wasn't even sure if she could, but the old man always seemed to just know things. Especially when someone was feeling troubled.

  "You don't have to talk," He paused for a beat. "But in times like these, it's good to have a friend."

  The old man sat down right in front of the tent. His body caused the hard grass to crunch as he got comfortable.

  It was all too much. RJ wished that she'd taken Lori and Carl to safety herself, She wished that she woulda paid more attention to the way Shane and Lori would interact, She wished she would've never stood at the side of that damned chapel, She wished she hadn't been sitting in the tree, but most of all she wished that she would've gone to that hospital to look for her brother herself.

  Although the woman knew it wasn't her fault, a part of her couldn't help but feel responsible, like she could've done more, like she could've prevented this.

  But there was nothing she could do now.

  "RJ, are you okay?" The soldier didn't even realize she was crying until she heard Dale's concerned tone.

  She frantically wiped her tears away. She certainly wasn't going to let him in, but if for whatever reason she had to go out there, she didn't want anyone to see her like that.

  "I-I can't imagine how you must feel right now, but as an old man viewing from the outside . . . don't be too harsh on her." He paused. "Take everything into consideration before you decide on what you're gonna do next."

  She already had. Even after everything, she still couldn't understand how Shane could do this. He and Lori were both hurting—hell, they all were, but RJ just couldn't understand how he could take advantage of not only Lori's, but his own pain like that.
  Carl and RJ were too wrapped up in helping each other to notice what was happening behind their backs, and that's what really hurt. The fact that Shane could do such a thing to Carl.