𝟷𝟷- 𝙷𝚊𝚝𝚎 𝚂𝚞𝚛𝚙𝚛𝚒𝚜𝚎𝚜

RJ's POV𓅓

RJ's POV
𓅓

  The car was silent. The only sound coming from Daryl's motorcycle in front of the RV.
  Carl sat on top of my lap, and my arms were wrapped tightly around his torso.

  Even though the world had ended, car wrecks weren't completely ruled out of the picture. Him not having a belt made me nervous, so I acted as his human seatbelt. I didn't care if I was a little sweaty from the heat, I could take it.

  Sophia sat in the middle seat, and Carol sat on the other side of the back seat. Carol offered for Sophia to sit in her lap, but Carl had declined—Lori and Rick had always taught him to be a gentleman.

  "I was just thinkin' about our trip to the Grand Canyon with Carl." Lori spoke, catching everyone's attention.
  Rick laughed at the memory, as did I. I had been a surprise tagalong member of the family trip.

  "I don't remember that." Carl shook his head slightly. His eyes moving between the three adult Grimes'.

  "No, you wouldn't. You were just a baby." Lori giggled reminiscently. "Besides we never made it past Fort Worth."

  Carl's eyes shifted to me for confirmation, to which I nodded my head with a smile, I too was reminiscing.

  "No, you got sick. I never knew a baby could throw up so much." All three of us chuckled and I shook my head.

  "No kidding. I was the one that got most of it." I cringed at the memory.
  "All over my shirt, my neck, my pants.." My eyes shut tightly and my head shook from side to side violently while Lori and Rick laughed, remembering my suffering.

  "Ick." Carl giggled.

  "Yeah, ick." Lori agreed with a laugh, her head momentarily turning to face both Carl and I before turning back.
  "The doctor in Texas said you'd live. Then we turned around and drove home."

  "That sucks." My nephew sighed. Even though he was too young to even remember being alive, he still felt a little bad for ruining our trip. I could see it in his eyes and in the way he slumped guiltily into me.

  "Nah, it was fun." I shook my head.

  "The funnest." Rick chuckled and Lori nodded her head in agreement.

  It was silent for a beat, but this time it wasn't so much of a dead silence as a comfortable and light hearted silence.

  "Can we go see it? The Grand Canyon? I'd like to." Us adults knew that with the world in the state it was in, there'd be a low chance that we'd really be able to go to a place as far as The Grand Canyon, especially just to go sight seeing, but hope was all we had left.