𝟷𝟿 - "𝚂𝚘𝚙𝚑𝚒𝚊"

𓅓

𓅓

The air was still as RJ held tightly onto her nephew. The growling had finally stopped but she was too scared to look up. It wasn't Sophia she was scared to see though, it was the group. More specifically Carl, Rick, Daryl, Carol—She felt nauseous like if she even thought of letting go of Carl, the whole world would collapse on top of her.

"RJ?" She could feel her nephew's sniffles and chokes as he spoke, but the most prominent cries that refused to leave her ears, even after she ran off, were Carols. "RJ, it's okay."

Confused, the woman sat up slightly with her eyebrows furrowed. "What—"

"You don't have to say sorry, it's not your fault."

Lori continued to sniffle and cry as she watched the interaction, realizing that RJ didn't know she was still mumbling her apologies. She'd seen her sister-in-law in that state a few times, it was never something she could get used to.

Beth's sobbing interrupted them as she stumbled away from her family, heading straight for the pile of walkers.

RJ's heart jumped watching the teenager make a beeline for her deceased mother. They didn't know for sure if all of the walkers were dead because they hadn't checked yet. Shots were fired but that didn't guarantee that every round hit their bullseye.
RJ watched carefully, her gut screaming at her to jump up and tackle the girl. Rick tried to stop Beth but considering her mom was just killed for the second time, he wasn't sure how to tell her to stay back and deny her a last visit with her mom.

The group silently watched, but RJ was getting ready to leap up. She had slowly removed herself from Lori and Carl's hold despite Carl's confused, tear-stricken face.
  Eventually, the woman stood up as Beth got closer, and from where she stood she had the perfect view of little Sophia, merely a foot away from Rick.

Her strawberry blonde hair looked almost brown and in some areas, splattered with old blood. Her skin was pale, almost grey, making a few of her dead veins pop in color, but the bite on her neck—RJ just couldn't seem to look away.

In her life, RJ had lost a lot of friends and loved ones, but this one seemed to be hitting harder than most. Her breathing seemed to have completely stopped, but as soon as she heard the familiar growls and the sound of a scream, she was snapped out of her daze.

The group leaped forward, Rick and RJ being the first to grab onto Beth and try their best to pry the walker's dead hands from the girl despite RJ being the farthest away. Panic had ensued, but for some reason as soon as it'd stopped, RJ didn't even realize that it had stopped.
  She was holding onto Beth, continuing to pull her away from the scene, even with Hershel right there, trying to calm his screaming daughter down. Her eyes seemed far off like she wasn't even there.

"RJ! RJ, it's fine!" Rick shouted, grabbing ahold of his sister's shoulders, and when the soldier finally came to, her eyes blinked a few times, she swallowed the saliva that seemed to have filled her mouth and looked around.
Everyone was still shaken up, but the thing that caught her eye was Andrea standing a few feet away with a bloody scythe, and a dead Annette on the ground, no longer trying to eat her daughter.