Chapter 12

Instead of shooting me in the head, though I am sure he would have preferred that, Fury jabbed something into my leg. As it would seem to be a commonly shared, and enjoyable hobby for the inhabitants of this realm, I was again knocked out. My eyes opened for a moment and I saw that I was in a flying form of transportation over the sea. The world seemed a little blurred, but through the view of a window, I spotted a distinctive area rising from beneath the crashing waters. That moment of lucidity did not last long. When I next awoke, I was being brought to a maximum-security cell. The trip consisted of many threats directed at me. My new 'accommodations' had a door with a small slot in the middle of it, and a visible camera. The whole room was very cramped and there was an uncomfortable slab that was supposed to serve as a bed but was likely just as good as the floor. If you were to stand in the middle and put your arms out, your fingers would hover in front of each side of the walls. The room was coated with a gloomy, gray metal that would remind one of a day filled with rain and clouds.

To say the very least... My plan did not work out well.

After being given a shock collar to which they explained could essentially be triggered by detecting higher levels of neural activity as well as increased levels of physical activity, but I assumed it would likely just be activated by guards at random moments. I had attempted to stop them and had told them that the bracelets had already restrained my powers so there was no need for more, but that, of course, did not matter and despite my best efforts, I now wear the dreadful thing around my neck. When the agents who had taken me here finally left me alone in the small space, I sat down and held my head in my hands. I did not want to be here. Actually, I did not want anything anymore, really. If I could hope for one thing, it would be for everything to just stop. I'd like to imagine how peaceful nothing would be, and better yet, I heard it lasts forever.

I heard something. Well, there wasn't even a sound, I should rather say I sensed it. The presence of a familiar person, and possibly the only person who does not want me dead. Though I was not particularly in the mood for company, I do usually appreciate her visits. I turned my head to see her sitting next to me.

"Hello, Mother."

Frigga looked at me and I saw a fading red in her eyes. I really did not want to be seen by her because it was already humiliating enough. She must have had to sneak around Odin's and her own schedule to avoid anyone knowing that she is visiting me, and it takes quite a lot of power to cast an illusion that reaches an entire other realm. "Oh, Loki. You keep getting yourself into all this trouble. You know that you were supposed to stay with Thor, and if you continue like this then..." Frigga trailed off, not wanting to finish the sentence. I only gave a small nod of my head. Frigga looked at me for a moment and raised an eyebrow before suddenly saying, "Let me see."

"What? I don't-"

"Loki, I taught you. I can see when you are hiding behind an illusion. Please show me," Frigga calmly instructed with a subtle tone of I-am-your-mother-so-do-as-I-say. I knew that there was no point in arguing with her, and if I did not drop the illusion, then she would undoubtedly find a way to do so herself. After a noticeable hesitation, I allowed the facade to disappear. I picked at and fidgeted with my hands, which was a nervous habit that I had developed quite a long time ago. Frigga let out a broken gasp as she looked over me. All the scars, burns, bruises, dark wounds, and obvious starvation were all unanimously displayed. Everything was perfectly visible and having her here to see it made me feel even more weak, vulnerable, and scared than I already was. I just wanted to hide. "My son... I wish I could help you," Frigga sadly whispered. She wanted to do something, but being unable to actually visit me she could not do very much. Still, I appreciated her caring enough to even be here.

"I'm sorry, Mother," A silent tear rolled down my cheek as I apologized to her. It was all my fault. If I was only stronger I could have held it all off longer. I should not have been so weak that I could be manipulated through that torment. Of course, Frigga and anyone I care about can not be told of what happened in the void. If they knew of that, even if they did not believe me, then they would be in danger too.