Chapter 4: Mothers

Mom dropped Atticus off at home and told me to move into the front seat. We were on the way into town when she pulled into a rest stop and put the vehicle in park. "So, how was the first day?" She asked.

"It was fine. Met a few new people and got settled into my classes," I said playing off the fact that I knew there was more to us parking here.

"Who did you meet?" She asked.

"Well, my Math and Science partner is Genevieve and I'm sitting beside a kid named Joshua in Humanities," I said.

She then gave me a nod and started back towards town. I wasn't ready to tell her about the kid I liked or, the fact that I like him. Even he didn't know. What if she already knew? Just focus on the now and deal with it later. I looked up and saw that we were at the store. I was so not ready for this but it will need to be done at some point. I unbuckled and got out of the vehicle, closing the door and taking out my phone to see if I had any notifications. I had none and just continued into the store with Mom. We wandered the isles looking for something I could use as gym strip. "What do you think of these neon orange shorts?" Mom asked.

"I already told you that I don't like neon colours, or that many colours for that. All I need is a black tee and black shorts that are won't make me overheat when doing PE," I responded.

"Look, I know that you don't want to stand out like your brother but you do have to become recognizable. This all-black look won't get you far with the kids there. High school is about creating your identity and this isn't a good one for you," She said.

"Hey look, this is exactly what I was looking for," I said grabbing a tee and shorts set in all black to show to mom.

"Fine, you win. I guess that I will just have to leave the colours to Atticus."

We went to the till and paid for the set before heading back out to the vehicle and heading home. On the way there, I got a message from Atticus, "Hey, I hope you don't mind but I went ahead and told your boyfriend that you liked him."

"Atticus you son of a foot licker."

Did I just say that out loud?

"Watch your language!" Mom exclaimed.

"Sorry," I said and went back to my phone.

Another notification popped up, this time it was Joshua, "Hey, I talked to my parents and was able to get them to let you come over to hang! If you want to that is."

I was so excited! I couldn't wait to go over but, what would Mom have to say about it? "Mom, would it be okay if I went to a friend's house for the weekend?"

"Is this one of your new friends?" Mom asked.

"Yes," I said hesitantly.

"I guess that because you are now in high school, you can do things without me babying you," Mom said making me smile harder than diamonds.

"OMG, thank you so much!" I exclaimed.

"Just don't tell your brother about it because I'm not giving him the same freedom."

For the rest of the trip home, I couldn't stop smiling. I sent Joshua a message telling him the news and he was ecstatic. We instantly began planning what we would do while I was there and what we would eat. I couldn't believe that I had a friend and such a good one at that.