Chapter 11: A Social Experiment

I heard my phone alarm going off and jumped out of bed with excitement. Joshua just laid there waiting for me to turn the blaring siren off. I left the room and got started on some breakfast. I looked in the fridge and saw eggs, milk, syrup, bacon. The pantry had flour, baking soda, other pancake ingredients. I grabbed the supplies and went back to the kitchen and got started. I got a couple of pans on the stove, oiled only one, mixed with my dry and wet ingredients, got the bacon started, started the warming oven, and poured my first pancake. I guess he could smell what I was cooking from the other room because he was sitting at the counter not seconds after. "You should get a new alarm tone," Joshua said.

"Ha! There's no way anything else can get me out of bed most mornings."

"I could wake you up."

"Dude, we're only thirteen, wait until Grade 11 to start saying that stuff," I said flipping the pancakes.

"Fine, but I get the first pancakes."

"I'm the cook so I eat when the cooking is done."

"Exactly!" Joshua exclaimed.

"But... the one who doesn't cook, cleans," I say turning around.

His face went from ecstatic to dull in a split second. "Just trying to keep it fair."

I had made a good stack of pancakes, bacon, and an omelet for each of us. I grabbed a couple of plates, glasses, and cutlery sets. Joshua didn't even wait for me to sit down when he finished his first three pancakes. I grabbed my things and enjoyed them. I then remembered tonight's dance! This was perfect as Joshua and I could test the waters and see if anyone in Grade 8 didn't like gays. I finished up my breakfast and just left the table. "Aren't you going to come and help me clean?" Joshua called down the hall.

"Didn't I tell you that the one who doesn't cook cleans!" I called back, entering the bathroom.

I looked around and remembered that my suitcase was sitting at home, unpacked. I had nothing to brush my teeth, get changed, shower. What was I going to do? "Joshua, I have a small problem."

He didn't come so I went back to the kitchen and said, "I have a problem."

"What now?"

"I may have forgotten to bring some things so I can freshen up."

Joshua rolled his eyes and went back to doing dishes. I went to the bedroom and sent a message off to Mom. "Want me to drop off some things for you?" Mom replied.

"Please do. I don't want to go to the dance looking like a gorilla."

"On my way."

I went back into the kitchen and started helping Joshua put away the now clean dishes. Joshua had some things here so he went and started his routine while I went and watched TV. Joshua eventually came out of the bathroom and joined me on the couch. After a bit, Mom sent me a message saying she was here with my things so I went up and met her in front of the house. She gave me my things and told me to have a good time at the dance. I went back down and got myself all ready. I went out to the living room and Joshua had changed the TV to play games. I sat down and grabbed the second controller. We played a shooter game for a bit and for once, I was winning at something. We also played a hockey game and a sandbox. Lunch rolled around and I went to make a PB&J sandwich.

I knew there was only a couple of hours till the dance started so I went to the bedroom and started to change. I looked at the bottom of my suitcase and saw Mom had packed a proper suit. I didn't know if others would be wearing one so I just left it aside. I did change into a better shirt than the black tee I was tearing and changed into some jeans. I left the room and was met by Joshua who gave me a once-over. "Is this what you're wearing to the dance?"