Chapter 12: Making Right

I walked in the front door, holding Joshua in my left hand and holding my chest with my right. I didn't have a choice in the matter though as the doctor says it needs to be slung for about a month. The cast will come off about another month after that. I let go of Joshua and ran straight to my room, locking it afterwards. "Maison, please let me talk to you," Joshua said through the door.

"I... I just need some time right now."

Footsteps started away from my room. I was sitting on my bed crying harder than I imagined humanly possible. What was I going to do for the next few months? Playing video games is out of the question while I'm immobilized and I'm right arm dominant. My life was over for the next two months. My phone buzzed in my right pocket and reaching for it, I hit my cast. I winced from the pain but it subsided soon after. My phone was now in my hand and I went to use my fingerprint but I only had my right fingers registered. I slowly punched in my pin and saw that it was a message from Atticus. "Mom wants to talk to you."

I unlock and open my door, exiting for the stairs. Mom was sitting in the kitchen when I reached the bottom, so I went over and sat across the table from her. "I know this will be a hard time for you but it's only for a bit. Atticus is grounded for breaking your arm and fighting. Joshua is also not allowed back here and you are not going to his place again."

It's official, my life's over. "Mom, Joshua was just trying to defend me. Atticus was the one that made the first swing. He doesn't deserve this," I say running back to my room.

"Joshua, I just got the news and I'm so sorry. You are not to blame, Atticus is. He is always trying to make my life miserable and you shouldn't have been the one to catch crossfire," I texted Joshua.

I stared at my phone hoping for a text back from him and nothing. This was an absolute disaster. I looked out the window and watched as the sun rose. I pulled out my laptop and watched some videos to try and get my mind off everything that's happened.

I went to school the next day and everyone was all over me and my arm, asking what happened and wanting to sign it. I explained what happened but declined the signing. I was all of a sudden popular. I got help in my electives and got to skip Gym. Math and Science were the same as usual but Humanities was hard. Joshua had started sitting in the very back and had a negative aura surrounding him. I tried to strike up a conversation but he would just ignore me.

Every day, I could feel Joshua slipping from me, and I needed him if I was going to get through this. He's helped me so much and now he needs me. I walked up to him sitting at his back corner desk and said, "You did nothing wrong. My arm breaking was an accident. Atticus is the one to blame as he's always trying to pick on my life."

"..." Joshua said continuing to look out the window.

I placed my hand on his shoulder and he just shrugged it off. "I don't want to lose you to hatred and anger. I'm here to listen and help you the same way you have for me," I say.

"..." Joshua said.

"I'm not happy about becoming popular because I broke my arm and have kept declining the help I don't need but I still need to help you."

"..." Joshua said.

"I love you Joshua and nothing is going to change that."

Joshua got out of his desk and left the classroom.

I left and went out to the parking lot to get a ride home. "So, how was school today?" Mom asked.