The Croatian Mafia in Biloxi

The Croatians first appeared in Biloxi around 1900 when "Captain Mike" arrived from Yugoslavia. Yugoslavian and Croatian mobsters owned many of the grand beachfront hotels in Biloxi but due to state law were not allowed to operate casinos onshore so they located them on offshore islands. One of the most luxurious offshore casinos was located at the Isle of Caprice, a small Island in the Gulf of Mexico offshore of Biloxi. My Father's first employer was his Uncle, who became one of several Biloxi boat owners that ferried visitors and equipment to the Isle of caprice casino, located offshore, for .50 cents. Food, "Barq's" rootbeer, and highballs made from bootleg whiskey and rum sales were an important profit center of the excursion business. As many as three trips a day were offered, including an evening cruise complete with orchestra, roulette table, and slot machines. My uncle was Yugoslavian and my Aunt was Croatian. Biloxi. This was my father's first exposure to the family business, at the age of 13.

The Dixie Mafia and the Mississippi Gulf Coast mafia existed in a symbiotic relationship.
The Mississippi Gulf Coast Mafia was a confederation of Italian and Croatian/Yugoslavian mafia families who did business with Dixie Mafia elements but did not share family connections.