Panama City Publishing Company

We would stay at The Cabana Motel when my father had business meetings in Panama City, Florida. The pool had music underwater, it was directy across from the Shrimp Boat Restaurant, a mafia owned business where he would meet with Mr. Trafficante and others. Next door was the  Cabana night club where my father's associates ran a casino. This was the only club I wasn't allowed in beause it had strippers the main room. I would be left with a family friend at the Panama City Newsaper printing shop a block away from the hotel.
The pool had music playing underwater.

    Cabana Hotel

    Cabana Hotel

I delivered newspapers on foot in the morning and in the afternoon I would help the printer set reverse newspaper print, one letter at a time. My hands were always black with printers' ink when I had this duty. In this office was my first exposure to power of the printed word. I witnessed the thoughts of one man being put onto paper and disseminated to thousands, an enlightening experience which had profound implications in my life, as I became a writer and  a newspaper editor for a major newspaper.  This was my first exposure to family business. I still have one of the typeset letters given to me by the printer.