Joseph Milteers visit to our house in 1972

I was working on my bicycle in the front yard a large pale yellow car  pulled up in our driveway. A large man dressed in khaki pants and a khaki suit top gets out of the car and asks me if my father was home. I took him to the back  door and my father greeted him as one would an old acquaintance. 
My father and Mr. Milteer sat at the kitchen table and my Father offered him a shot of whiskey, which he accepted.  The two men sat and discussed the Concerned Citizens Council (CCC) and its relationship to the situation which had unfolded in Mississippi since the passage of the civil rights act. They also discussed the resurgence of gambling on the coast. Now that the Kennedys were out of the way. The New Orleans sportswire that survived the National Guard purge of the 1960's were back in operation.
Casinos were booming on the coast, illegal alcohol was flowing and the brothels were open again. It was almost as if nothing had ever happened with the difference being that paranoia hung heavily in the air, for they never knew when they were going to be picked up by soldiers.

My Mother uneasily stood in the kitchen the whole time he was there and it was apparent to me that she did not like him being in our house.  After conversing with my father and downing a few shots of whiskey Mr  Milteer drove away.

     Two years later in 1974 Joseph Milteer died from severe burns from a camping stove explosion. I suspect he knew too much about the architects of the Presidents assasination.

Joseph Abraham Milteer
1902-1974