Friend & Foe 2

Not saying I'm an 'ass-woman' but that sound was music to my ears. Dropping my fork, I pushed myself off the chair. I also may have "accidentally" punched Haniel with my elbow. Everyone stopped eating and stared at me patiently waiting for a box to drop. I held out my hands and waited.

And waited.

And waited.

And waited.

I was just about to glance through the hole in the roof when a small box dropped. I ducked before it hit me in the head.

"Good morning everyone" the ceiling announced, stopping me midway from retrieving the box. "I hope you all are well and ready to start a new week. As you know your family members are now able to contact you again for no more than the acceptable time." Acceptable?? You mean the the time limit you forced on them! I looked over at my friends and saw their expressions filled with both longing and anger. It hurt to see them like this. Which is why I was even more determined to uncover this mystery box.

"As for the house leader" Melvin continued. Yup I've decided to name it Melvin. It made him seem less intimidating and more like a douche. "Since this week's hint is more challenging than the first, we have decided to provide a motivational aspect."

I furrowed my eyebrows "meaning?"

"If you are capable of completing this hint in less than 10 hours you will receive a reward."

"What type of reward?" It had to be a trick. A thought came to my mind. Maybe they'll let you contact your mom. I felt a tug in my heart. I knew I shouldn't let my hopes up. On the first day I made a choice, and now, I have to pay the price.

"The reward concerns the house. There will be flexibility when it comes to certain aspects." God I hated Melvin. Of course he wouldn't just answer my question. "The timer begins once you open the box contents. Have a blessed day everyone."

I stood there, facing the wall in silence. I felt anger and frustration ripple through me. I really needed to punch something. I kept clasping and unclasping my shaking hands.

"What do you think the reward is" Julie's voice was a mere blur but it brought me back. Taking a deep breath I turned around and noticed all of them staring at me with concern. This isn't the time to show weakness Lilith. They're counting on you.

"I don't know" I picked up the box "but I better get started so we can find out" I attempted a smile.

"Let us help you" Ribera was suddenly at my side. I appreciated the thought but I knew deep down they'd rather talk with their families.

I shook my head "not necessary" my eyes found Haniel's "I'll manage." Haniel nodded once and comfort flooded through me. "Besides" I looked back at Ribera "I need Andrea to tell you all the new hospital gossip. Do you know how hard it is not knowing if Nurse Samantha will ever admit to her husband how she got pregnant after his vasectomy?"

He shook his head and laughed " Poor guy kept running in the hall yelling: ES UN MILAGRO!"

"Which is exactly why I need to know what I missed" I told him. Andrea is 12 years old which thankfully means that the 'men in white' didn't take her. A part of me wanted to talk to her so I could check in with my mom but that was selfish. Twenty minutes was barely enough time; I couldn't take that away from anyone.

Rye came in to clear the table and everyone went to their rooms waiting for their phones to ring. Everyone except him. He was still in his chair playing with a napkin while I was leaning against the wall with the box in my hand.

"Why doesn't your uncle call you?" It came out of nowhere but I had to know.

His hands froze and the napkin fell to the floor "it's complicated."